Sub (smaller) compatible with Beam...

• 22 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, I’ve got a Beam and two Ones as rear speakers and would like a sub but can’t justify both the spend and the space required for the only Sonos sub offering. Is a smaller Sub out of the question? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

This is a common request, and Sonos hasn't really commented on this idea other than acknowledging the suggestion. Sonos doesn't like to give out information on future products till they have a solid release date, so that's not at all surprising.

It's going to come down to whether Sonos thinks there's a large enough market and the can make a product that meets their standards at that price.
Userlevel 7
Hi Brenchk

This is just my opinion on the subject. The Sonos sub is the most versatile in terms of size and placement that I have ever come across. It delivers an excellent base response when used with Sonos speakers or 3rd party speakers powered by a Sonos Amp. FYI, I have both configurations.

A smaller sub short of using a lot of electronic trickery or ports is not going to produce the same CLEAN low-end response from my experience over the years (and they're a lot) 🙂

I realize the Sonos sub is expensive and money spent is not just on a whim; but a budget calculation. However, in my experience to reduce the size of a product and achieve the same results as a larger sibling rarely (if ever) results in a lower price point.

In conclusion...would a smaller sub at a lower price point be nice to have in the Sonos line-up....of course it would. That said I wouldn't expect the same frequencies to be hit as with the current model. So it's a Catch-22...lower price/smaller size with less acoustic results or smaller size/same acoustic results at the same (or higher) price point. IMO a higher price point would be a very hard sell.

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for the responses. Fully understand points of view.