Question

Sub Gen 2 vs Sub Gen 3 my thoughts, Gen 3 not as good

• 16 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi All,

I purchased my Sonos Arc along with a used gen 2 sub around 4 weeks ago, Really impressed by the gen 2 sub, really kicked it some deep bass. A like a lot of heavy bass music and even at +2 the sub 2 did a good job.

Now 4 days ago I sold my gen 2 and purchased a gen 3 sub. Im finding the gen 3 is a bit lacking in the bass department compared to the gen 2, I have to put it on +6+7 really to get the same, even tho its a different kind of bass, less room shaking. Bit disappointed in it as I had heard they sound exactly the same but I upgraded just for longevity of the product etc etc.

Has anyone else found this? keen to see other people opionions.

thank you 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

With my early experience with ARC, I decided to play it safe and bought the Sub Gen2 at a discount. Did you keep the Gen3 in the same place as the Gen2. Anything changed in the room between the two setups? There shouldnt be that much difference between the two. Try turning off Trueplay, see if that makes any difference.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

They’re all but the same product so they should sound EXACTLY the same, sonically, unless there’s a defect in your hardware. I ended up with a Gen 2 for my Arc before my Gen 3 came (long story) so I’ve used and played with them both. I’ve seen zero difference in the quality between the two, to the point where if I hadn’t been the person who’s swapped them out I would believe that nothing had changed. 

I’m with @neo06 - try TruePlay-ing again. Maybe there was a difference in how you tuned the 2 vs the 3 or you used a different device or something. But unless you’ve got a true defect (which I doubt if you’re not hearing rattling, blown speaker sounds, etc.) my guess is that it’s just a tuning issue. 

Let us know what you discover! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sub in same place, just don’t seem the same. Will give it another truplay see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Did tuning it again do the trick? Wondering because I'm not that impressed with my new sub 3