Stream Audio from Smart TV

• 27 August 2016
  • 7 replies

Would be great if I could stream stereo (I have 2 Play1s setup as a stereo pair) audio from my smart TV to my Sonos. Then I could all but retire my 300 watt amp and 4' high speakers connected to my TV/Blue Ray player. I can cast from my PC - I should be able to do the same from my smart TV. Choose the IP addresses as I do from my PC and broadcast great stereo from the TV of Blue Ray player.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
You can use a line-out from your TV to a SONOS Connect. I have my system set-up this way with excellent results.
Would be great if I could stream stereo (I have 2 Play1s setup as a stereo pair) audio from my smart TV to my Sonos. Then I could all but retire my 300 watt amp and 4' high speakers connected to my TV/Blue Ray player. I can cast from my PC - I should be able to do the same from my smart TV. Choose the IP addresses as I do from my PC and broadcast great stereo from the TV of Blue Ray player.
I'd be amazed if your TV was capable of wirelessly casting audio to absolutely anything.
If you have a Playbar it is easy. Your TV audio is Music Source, so you can play youtube music on your TV (I do that using Chromecast) or any music streaming available to your Smart TV, and send that to any of your Sonos products throughout the house. I think the catch is that you have to group the additional Sonos Speakers with the current TV audio source if you are looking to play that Smart TV music streaming audio in another room.
Be aware that TV audio played through speakers grouped with the Playbar will not synch perfectly. Music sources will do though.
Think I was given a bit of duff information.
I asked the store assistant if I would be able to play my smart tv through a Sonos 1 and was advised I would.
Reading these comments this does not now seem true.
Oh well, still wish to keep it.
I have a Sonos sound bar on the main tv in the lounge but was hoping to play the kitchen tv through the Sonos 1.
Yup, duff sounds right.

You could "group" your PLAY:1 with the main lounge and get that TV's sound on the PLAY:1, but no, you won't be able to connect it with your "smart TV".
Thanks Bruce