Answered

Stereo to DD5.1

• 30 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge
How to change my playbar from stereo to DD5.1? What do I do?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 January 2019, 02:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There is no changing needed. All you do is connect it to a DD 5.1 source.
Which generally means going in to the audio settings on the TV set, and any device connected to it, and setting the audio output to Dolby Digital.
Badge
Ok, I have really been researching this, My TV audio is set to Dolby..My cable box audio is set to Dolby but yet my Sonos only says Stereo.....I think the problem is my cable box is in a built in beside my tv and connected to my TV by an HDMI going through the wall. The optical input from from the sonos is connected to some kind of small box with an HDMI that is ran from that to the TV....since my TV has no optical output. When I ran a digital audio cable directly from the Sonos to the cable box (to test), it sounded great! But I cant have a cord running accross my floor....Could I purchase some wireless digital cable that would plug into Sonos playbar and into the Cable box? I'm really trying to figure this out 😞
Badge
My TV is Philips Model 50PFL3807/F7 if that helps
The TV model and settings are irrelevant in this case, since the audio is not routing through the TV. If you're getting DD 5.1 when connecting the playbar directly to the cable box, then it looks like your 'small box' (probably an audio extractor) isn't passing through DD 5.1. I would look to getting a replacement for that is rated to handle DD 5.1
Edit: beaten to the punch by Danny ;)

The small box you describe sounds like an HDMI audio extractor. This device needs to "ask" your cable box for the correct signal.
If you could find out the make and model of this extractor, we might be able to help you ascertain if this will work or if you need a different type of extractor/switch. Is more than one HDMI cable connected to this box?