Question

Stereo source on Sonos 5.1

• 1 June 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge
So people have talked about that some televisions only support stereo passthrough from the optical output. In that case Sonos simulates surround sound (it's probably some kind of extended stereo...?).

My question is, if your TV CAN send out a 5.1 signal, but the source is only stereo, how does the system handle the sound. In av receiver setups like my own, only the front speakers would sound. To get sound from all speakers I would have to change the receiver settings to extended stereo (Pioneer VSX-930). Does Sonos automatically simulate surround in that case or is there a setting to do so?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

To clarify 5.1 sound is a function of the PLAYBAR and Sonos devices configured to work with the PLAYBAR in the same zone. For the setup you described in your other thread, you were not going to us a PLAYBAR, but the receiver instead. So really, it's not a matter of what Sonos can do but what your receiver can do.

However, looking at the FAQ for the PLAYBAR...

"Will I still get surround sound from PLAYBAR even if the source is stereo?

Yes. PLAYBAR uses Sonos' audio engineering to upmix any stereo signal into a surround sound experience that fills all channels, even when the source isn't Dolby Digital. "

I personally have the PLAYBAR 5.1 setup in my home with a Sony tv to pass through, Sony blu ray, fire tv, and cable box as the sources. I inherited this setup, so I am not exactly sure where I'm getting 5.1 sound or simulated surround, but I've never been disappointed.

Remembering your other thread again, the other two tvs you want in your basement zones would be limited to stereo sound using the CONNECT:AMP. I imagine that's just fine since they are in an open location.
Badge
Maybe I didn't specify it well enough, but my question wasn't about my own receiver. It was about the Sonos 5.1 surround system. I just used my own system as a reference. But it sounds like it does simulate surround in the circumstance I describes. Thanks for the answer!