Answered

Sound starts with delay (Apple TV -HDMI-> TV -optical-> Beam)

• 16 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

Since my TV does not have ARC, I have it hooked up to my Beam via optical cable. My source is an Apple TV 4K, connected to the TV via HDMI. Sometimes when I start videos (YouTube, Netflix), there is a few seconds where the video plays, but there is no sound. After the sound comes on it is stable, so it really happens only when starting.

I guess either the TV or the Beam needs some time to realize that sound is coming in and processing it.

Does anyone have some insight where the problem may be and how I could get rid of it?

Regards, Robert

icon

Best answer by controlav 16 December 2020, 14:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is normal behavior when the device first gets an audio signal. I see this when my TiVo has been paused for more than a certain time and I resume. Depends on exactly how the source device sends silence - either by sending actual silence (which happens on short pauses) and gives no delay, or by sending no signal at all (which happens on long pauses) which generates a delay while the signal is synced.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the explanation!