Sound Quality not as clear

• 30 March 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hello,
In my bedroom, I have 2 Gen 2 play 5 paired, 1 Gen 1 play 5 as a stand alone, 1 play 1 in my bathroom and 1 Amp connected to 2 Nakamichi Playlink speakers with a line in from the TV. It works ok but I have two issues. This is my diagnostic number 2113532709.

First issue which has been happening for some time: the volume sometimes run.

As in, the volume, either when I start the system or at times in the middle of playing something, suddenly runs from where it is to almost full bar in the app, creating problems for me with my neighbours especially at 3am. At times I can literally see the volume shoots from 0 to 100 on the app volume bar and usually ends up the speakers bring ungrouped.

I don’t think it’s the internet because the living room system and the kitchen, guest room and bathroom that is part of another group but using the same wifi network are still in tact.

Is there a way I can control that, and is there anyway I can control the volume using other remotes instead of just the app.? It seems that because I connected the tv volume to the Amp to I can’t control the volume using the TV Remote or any other remote except the app? In my living that had the Playbase can be controlled using the Apple TV remote.

My second issue which is very recent is that my room sound quality seems muffled and unclear. This is especially the Gen 1 Play 5.

I can crank up the volume to almost 3/4 up the bar and it’s still sounds soft. It didn’t use to be like that connected. The Gen 1 Play 5, the Play 1 and the Amp are connected using goodie mesh that is in the room. The paired Play 5 are connected by ethernet cable each as they are both next to 2 of the Google home devices.

Any pointers or similar issue to either of my problems and what you guys did.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Zulloft

As in, the volume, either when I start the system or at times in the middle of playing something, suddenly runs from where it is to almost full bar in the app, creating problems for me with my neighbours especially at 3am. At times I can literally see the volume shoots from 0 to 100 on the app volume bar and usually ends up the speakers bring ungrouped.

From what you are describing I'd say the Sonos App needs to be removed and re-installed. If the issue continues then look to the device the Sonos app is loaded onto and make sure it's software is up to date. If still having issues I'd say the device is defective.

You can easily determine if you have a defective device by loading the Sonos app onto another compatible device or borrow one from a friend temporarily. Be sure to delete the Sonos app from the original device.

Last or maybe first...check to see that nothing is resting on the controls of the Sonos speaker.

Is there a way I can control that, and is there anyway I can control the volume using other remotes instead of just the app.? It seems that because I connected the tv volume to the Amp to I can’t control the volume using the TV Remote or any other remote except the app? In my living that had the Playbase can be controlled using the Apple TV remote.

Although not entirely your fault I wish you had been more specific in your description of the "Amp". There is the Sonos Amp and the Connect Amp. However, like I said Sonos created this naming mess. 😠

I'll assume you mean the Sonos Amp and that you are using Optical input from your TV to the Sonos Amp instead of HDMI_ARC. However, even using HDMI_ARC your remote should work as long as it sends and receives via IR.

In the Sonos app go to Room Settings and select the room that contains the Sonos Amp. Scroll down to TV & Remote then select Remote

My second issue which is very recent is that my room sound quality seems muffled and unclear. This is especially the Gen 1 Play 5.

I can crank up the volume to almost 3/4 up the bar and it’s still sounds soft. It didn’t use to be like that connected. The Gen 1 Play 5, the Play 1 and the Amp are connected using goodie mesh that is in the room. The paired Play 5 are connected by ethernet cable each as they are both next to 2 of the Google home devices.

Go to Settings > Room settings > Select the room with the Play 5's (including the Play 5_Gen1) > Volume Limit. Make sure it's set to 100%. If it is then I suggest you submit another diagnostic and call Sonos as the Play 5 Gen1 may be defective.

FYI., generally speaking network issues are more commonly associate with drop-outs rather than volume issues. Let us know if any of what written helps.

Cheers!
Badge
Hi AJ;
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. All your instructions are clear and unfortunately except for the remote control and possibly the Gen 1 Play 5 being defective, i have considered all the rest that you have suggested.

However, regarding the remote: i am using a Connect Amp and i have used a 3.5mm cable out of the TV to the Connect Amp. I went to room settings but couldn’t find the remote/tv button you were referring to. Could you clarify
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Hi AJ;
However, regarding the remote: i am using a Connect Amp and i have used a 3.5mm cable out of the TV to the Connect Amp. I went to room settings but couldn’t find the remote/tv button you were referring to. Could you clarify

The Connect Amp doesn't have an IR receiver. That's why the option isn't there.

The new Amp does though.
Userlevel 7

Hi Zulloft

If you recall at the beginning of my response I indicated that I couldn't determine if you were referring to the newly released Sonos Amp or the now discontinued Connect Amp 🙂 I continued under the assumption that it was the Sonos Amp which does have an IR remote receptor. So as you have now surmised the Connect Amp does not have an IR remote receptor.:(

There is one other option that may work. Since you are using a line-out from your TV do this....open your TV menu and look under audio settings to see if there is a "Variable" option for audio out. If so select it. You'll be able to use the TV remote by pointing it at your TV to adjust the volume. I hope this works. If not you might consider the new Sonos Amp. :8

PS
If my suggestion works you'll have to keep the volume level in the Sonos App turned up or at least find a happy medium between it and the volume coming from the TV.

Cheers!