Sound Bar Sound to other Sonos Speakers

• 29 March 2019
  • 6 replies

I'm looking to get a Sound Bar (Playbar or Beam) but want to know if it is possible to have the sound from the TV being fed into that sound bar also be used by one or two other Connect:Amp s that we have. This way we can have the TV sound through the in ceiling speakers and out on patio.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I think it depends on your TV set, as to whether the output you are currently using remains active when you set up the PLAYBAR or Beam, via either optical or HDMI-ARC.

It's really not something that Sonos has any control over.
I'm confused why it depends on TV? Does the sound inputted to the soundbar get into the sonos 'system' so it can be played by any other speaker or Connect:Amp on the network?
If you just want the TV audio to play over some/all of your other Sonos speakers, yes this is possible. The TV audio will always come out the Playbar/Playbase/Beam. Note, because of the buffering needed for multi-room, there will be a slight delay on the other speakers. Not noticeable if they are not in the same room.
as jgatie says, if you're just interested in the same audio across all the speakers, grouping the 'rooms' is the answer. With the slight delay.

I was interpreting your question as if you wanted your TV to output both in the digital and analog modes. Which is a TV issue, not a Sonos issue.
Thank you. And can this be done with either the Playbar or the Beam?
It's the function of the Sonos software, not the device itself. It can be done with any Sonos equipment.