Sony XBR55A8G, Sonos Arc and HD Fury

• 17 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

We love our Sony XBR55A8G. I had a Sonos Playbar and after reading so many reviews on the Sonos ARC, I bought one. I was disappointed when I found that I did not have the ability to make use of Dolby Atmos. Then I just came across two youtube reviews on the HD Fury. I purchased one and then ordered new cables from the suggested vendor. They are 2.1 compliant.

When I put everything together, I confirmed that I had the latest firmware. I get video, but get no audio. Further, there is no reading on the screen of the HD Fury. Even after unplugging and replugging in everything as suggested in other queries, It does not give an indication that I am feeding a signal in.

Any suggestions? Should I just send it back and ask for a refund?

MEP - RFGroup

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Have you contacted the HD Fury CS folk?

Userlevel 7

Does the Arcana power on? What do you see on the Arcana screen? Can you post a screenshot?

Make sure you have the Arc connected to the eARC OUT port, the TV connected to HDMI OUT, and the media device connected to HDMI IN on the Arcana.

You might want to redo the TV Setup process in the Sonos app with the Arcana connected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, have you updated to the latest firmware for the Arcana?

Badge

Here are some answers to questions:

I am using the cable that came with the Sonos ARC and a new cable from Cable Matters that is a HDMI 2.1 compliant 2 foot long cable. The package actually says 8K on it.  One note is no matter which end of that 2 ft cable goes into the Sonos ARC, it is a little loose. I tried wiggling it and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

All fields were set to the same parameters listed in the current online manual.  Firmware is current.

The Sony XBR55A8G was used to provide the signal for Netflix. You will see that the video was listed as ATMOS.  Sony HDMI 3 ARC Output to HD Fury HDMI input.  HD Fury eARC output to Sonos ARC input.

The final frame indicates that I get no signal. I did repeat the set-up on both the TV and the Sonos app.

Help.

Userlevel 7

The TV should be connected to HDMI OUT on the Arcana, not HDMI IN.

Also, use the cable that came with the Arc to connect the Arc to the Arcana. Use the Cable Matters cable to connect the TV to the Arcana. It appears that you have them switched.

Badge

I believe I may have missed spoken in my first email but just to be sure I tried plugging the HDMI from the back of the TV into each of the three HDMI ports on the HD Fury. At no point did any of the ports show any sign of input on the display.

I’m beginning to wonder whether I got a defective unit.

Userlevel 7

This is how everything should be connected to the Arcana:

Use the HDMI cable that came with the Arc to connect the Arc to eARC OUT on the Arcana.

Use the Cable Matters cable to connect the TV to HDMI OUT on the Arcana.

Connect an external media device to HDMI IN on the Arcana.

NOTE: The Arcana only helps you get Dolby Atmos audio from EXTERNAL media devices. It will not change the audio you get from the TV’s native apps. If you aren’t using an external media device, there really is no purpose for the Arcana.

FYI… your TV’s native Netflix app should be able to send Dolby Atmos audio to the Arc with or without the Arcana. If you are unable to get Dolby Atmos from Netflix, your TV settings are probably not set to the proper settings.

Badge

So, you're saying that my Sony XBR55A8G, despite having Chromecast and having Dolby Digital Plus and the ability to pass through lossy audio to my Sonos ARC on its own, will do no more than that.  That, even though the Netflix app, for example, indicates that it is receiving a movie with Dolby Atmos. 

So the only solution is to ignore the built-in apps and add a Roku, for example into the mix.

So, you're saying that my Sony XBR55A8G, despite having Chromecast and having Dolby Digital Plus and the ability to pass through lossy audio to my Sonos ARC on its own, will do no more than that.  That, even though the Netflix app, for example, indicates that it is receiving a movie with Dolby Atmos. 

So the only solution is to ignore the built-in apps and add a Roku, for example into the mix.

It looks to me like the A8G supports Dolby Atmos and eARC already anyway… I don’t think you actually need the Arcana? Perhaps see this review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8g-oled

You just probably have to enable the codec in the TV settings, or maybe ensure your Netflix App subscription supports that codec.

Userlevel 7

Your TV already supports Dolby Atmos pass through from some of its native apps like Netflix and Prime Video. The Arcana isn’t needed for this.

If you want Atmos from other apps like Disney+ or from Blu-ray discs, you need to get an external media device like a Roku Ultra or Apple TV 4K or a Blu-ray player and connect it to HDMI IN on the Arcana.

What streaming apps do you use? What specifically are you trying accomplish with the Arcana?