sonos surround and digital pcm 2.0

• 24 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello All,

My set up is an LG C1, beam, Sonos One and a mini-sub.  When playing Dolby atmos quality streams it plays correctly in Dolby atmos.

When playing in Hulu or other tv shows it plays digital pcm2.0 stereo as expected in some scenarios.

When this occurs I notice my rear speakers during that time play some of the audio well but I hear a faint “whispering” or buzzing while voices are talking or during some of the scenes during older shows, due to the attempt of what I understand as upscaling and just being quieter which is very annoying at times.

Is there a setting or option that is better to handle this or am I missing something here?

Or during these shows just lower the tv surround via the app?  If it is lowering the tv surround is there a way to automate this up and down?

2 replies

Userlevel 7

How close are you sitting to the surround speakers? It sounds like you need to lower the audio level of the surrounds.

Also be sure to set your TV settings to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

When playing stereo content, you want the Sonos app to display “Stereo PCM”.

The left speaker is probably 2 feet from my ear and the other is 10 feet with the couch closest to the left speaker.

I am still working on speaker placement so it could be as simple as that.

settings wise the above you mentioned are all good and it does say stereo pcm 2.0.