Answered

Sonos suddenly stopped working... AGAIN

• 9 May 2019
  • 8 replies

So I tried to play a song from my sonos app and the app said it was unable to find sonos on my wifi. I restarted my router. Same issue. I reset my router. Same issue. Alexa on my Sonos had suddenly acquired an american accent and instantly says "sorry, im having trouble understanding right now". I set up my surround sound again (for the recoird i have two sonos ones and beam) and it still doesn't work - again blaming the wifi. THIS. IS. NOT. DOWN. TO. MY. WIFI. And its frustrating that the app keeps doing this. This is the second time this has happened. Can someone advise, because I'm on the verge of just selling these speakers.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 9 May 2019, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I tried to play a song from my sonos app and the app said it was unable to find sonos on my wifi. I restarted my router. Same issue. I reset my router. Same issue. Alexa on my Sonos had suddenly acquired an american accent and instantly says "sorry, im having trouble understanding right now". I set up my surround sound again (for the recoird i have two sonos ones and beam) and it still doesn't work - again blaming the wifi. THIS. IS. NOT. DOWN. TO. MY. WIFI. And its frustrating that the app keeps doing this. This is the second time this has happened. Can someone advise, because I'm on the verge of just selling these speakers.

HI there,

It sounds like there is a communication issue somewhere between your Sonos components, router, and controller. Most of the time this is due to wireless issues, especially if your speakers are configured to connect to your wireless network.

To narrow down the issue, please temporarily wire one of your Sonos units into your router using an ethernet cable. Hopefully this will help get the speakers showing in the app. If so, send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number

If you still don't see your Sonos units in the app after wiring in one of them, try the steps found in this guide, which covers the most common causes of this kind of issue.

If that guide doesn't help, it would be a good idea to reach out to our phone team who can take over troubleshooting the issue live. You can find our phone number and hours here.
I have narrowed down the issue to the Beam not finding my Wifi. Again, this is sudden and happened for absolutely no reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have narrowed down the issue to the Beam not finding my Wifi. Again, this is sudden and happened for absolutely no reason.

If the Beam isn't connecting to your wireless network there's likely a wireless issue. Can you temporarily wire it in to your network so we can get a diagnostic report? The report may give us some insight into what's going on.
I'm not sure how to do that, but i connected my Beam via ethernet and was instructed to move it to the room i want it in and then it was unable to be found again
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not sure how to do that, but i connected my Beam via ethernet and was instructed to move it to the room i want it in and then it was unable to be found again

To wire in the Beam, move it to within a few feet of your router and use an ethernet cable to connect the Beam to the router. The unit should return to the app. If the Beam is showing in the app, a diagnostic report may show why it's not connecting wirelessly.
This isn't working for me
I have a smart TV - if I'm connected through ARC do I need my tv to be connected to my network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a smart TV - if I'm connected through ARC do I need my tv to be connected to my network?

The connection to the TV won't matter until the Beam is connected to your network and app. I think it would be best if you worked with our phone team on this. They can guide you through getting things connected and working. You can find our number here.