Sonos sound AppleTV 4K is not as punchy/loud/deep as direct from TV

• 5 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
Hi All, my setup is:
*4K LG OLED TV (OLED55B6T)
* Apple TV (4K)
* Sonos 5.1 (Beam,Sub + 2X Plays)
* All connections are via HDMI; TV and Beam via HDMI arc, and the Apple TV uses one of the other HDMI in's.
* Every setting "forces" 5.1 -- as per recommendations on this community.

Despite the above setup, there is a difference in sound quality when comparing sound from the Netflix app between the TV and Apple TV. The Netflix sound smart TV app has a lot more "punch" and depth" to it as compared to the netflix app on the Apple TV. Same applies to Amazon, so it's nothing to do with the apps.

The 5.1 works on both and I wouldn't call this a technical problem per se; the Apple TV is just "duller", especially the bass. It's just not as crisp, which is a shame because I want to use the Apple TV over the Smart TV.

Any help very much appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What does the Sonos controller say that the Beam is receiving from your TV in each instance? Open the controller, click on "More...", then "Settings", and finally "About My Sonos System". Look for the line under the Beam that says "Audio In", which tells you what format the Beam is getting.

I'm thinking that in some cases, the different apps are sending different kinds of signals through your TV. But the Sonos can only be as good as the signal it's receiving, and if one of the two seems brighter/duller than the other, there's not much Sonos can do about it. Since you're saying the Apple sounds duller, you may want to look in to the Apple TV's audio settings, to make sure they're all set the way you want.
Badge +2
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. In both instances, the Beam is receiving 5.1. Do you think it may be something to do with the fact that the sound is "less direct" when coming from the Apple TV? As in, it has to go through one HDMI cable into the TV, then another HDMI from the TV out to the Beam (via ARC)? Any other feedback appreciated!
Not really...the signal is a digital one, so “direct”ness shouldn’t really make a difference. Unless there’s some setting on the TV that’s doing some sort of audio processing on signals that come in via HDMI and not applying that same processing to internally generated data. That’s the only thing that would make any sense, since the data received in both cases from Netflix, for example, should be precisely the same.
Check if apple tv has reduce loud sounds enabled by any chance.
Ah, good point. I’d forgotten about that setting in the Apple TV’s audio menu.
Badge +2
Thanks, everyone. I ended up getting an HDMI 2.0 cable and it seemed to solve it!