Sonos Playbase - Horrid sound quality!

• 26 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
New Playbase sounds horrid. I purchased this as an Xmas present for my parents and cannot believe something has been made and sold that sounds so bad. Usually I audition anything like this before purchase, but in this case needed to go with reviews and peoples opinion, as have been out of the country lately. Biggest problem is the centre channel sounds as if it is completely recessed back in the box, muffled, far to quiet and there is also some weird phasing going on that is very unpleasant. Not to mention the sibilant treble. Very Very disappointed in something that costs £550! I also got the Play:1's for surround but I have not bothered to unbox them yet.

Have tried various sources - both TV, DVD and Tidal, with TruePlay enabled and disabled. They all exhibit the same issues.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Playbase is rather impressive in its sound - maybe it is issue with the source of your sound, your setup, or you have a bad speaker.

have you done the trueplay tuning on the speaker?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I would agree, it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Love mine. It has converted one of my brothers over to Sonos.