Sonos Playbase and Sony Bravia TV

• 11 June 2020
  • 8 replies

So i’ve had a couple of instances where I would turn on my Sony TV which I have hooked up optical to my playbase and it simply wouldnt work...no sound no nothing.  I would have to reset the tv sound to TV speakers.  After a couple of days I could reset it back to audio out “fixed” and it would work fine.  I could use the comcast remote or the sony remote to control the volume that output to the playbase.  

Now this last time the sound went out for no good reason when I reset it I get two problems.  Either I can have the sound set at fixed and then none of the remotes change the volume or I have to have both the tv speakers and the playbase volume on and I get a huge echo….please help…otherwise I have a huge paperweight connected to this TV!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

As a guess, you need to set both the TV’s audio settings, and anything feeding the TV to be only Dolby Digital, and not Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, or anything else. I suspect your TV is trying to pass a signal to the PLAYBASE that it can’t interpret. 

But why would it all of a sudden change and not work??  Worked fine for almost a year. 

Userlevel 7

But why would it all of a sudden change and not work??  Worked fine for almost a year. 

If your TV is connected to the internet it may have received an update that changed a few settings in audio behavior. I recommend you check all settings in the TV audio menu. As @Airgetlam said make sure everything is set to Dolby Digital only including source components.

Cheers!

TV isn’t connected to the internet...only options I have are PCM and Auto...

“Auto” is probably a bad choice because the TV might pick a non supported format. 

On a hunch, start playing a TV program or source that you know is DOLBY, then go to the TV’s audio output setup menu again and see if DOLBY is now an option.

On your SONOS controller you can go to Settings → System → About My System. There is a line in the report for PLAYBASE that gives the audio input format.

I just bought a Sony Bravia A9G 65” OLED TV. Trying to get the Sonos Playbase to integrate seamlessly is elusive so far. Volume by streaming app varies which has wife giving me the third degree burn. I am sure there is a proper configuration setting; however, I have not found the correct ones yet. 

Welcome the bizarro world of getting a Sony Bravia (I have the A9G Master Series) to work with the Sonos Playbase. I just added a big l’post today on the myriad of problems I am having to get sound to work with Sonos.

Hi,

I am struggling with the same thing…...I have a new 65” Sony Bravia A9G and trying to integrate the Sony or Comcast Xfinity X1 remote to control volume is frustrating as h*ll. I cannot find the secret solution.

Any chance you were able to discover how to make it work?

PS: Wife roasting me daily over this too.