Question

Sonos Playbar with a laptop?

• 1 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Hi, Can I connect sonos Playbar with my laptop and play music/movies/A/V files from my laptop and hear from Sonos Playbar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Assuming you only have a Playbar

It only accepts input via an optical cable so "ALL" you need to do is get the audio from your Laptop out either directly via optical or buy an adaptor to achieve the same.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I assume from your question you are asking if you can "connect via cable" so that you can essentially use the Playbar as a computer speaker. If so, then Stuart_W's response is correct that you would need an adapter to convert from your headphone out jack on the laptop to an optical connector you can attach to the Playbar. I've never looked for or used such an adapter, but I assume they exist.

Alternately, you can use the Playbar as a wifi speaker, sending audio to it via the Sonos app from your laptop. This is of course like any other Sonos speaker and it would NOT be a computer speaker that plays anything your computer plays.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I bought a USB sound card with an optical out from eBay for my Home Theater PC, cost about £5 and it plays all PC sounds through the Playbar. I use it to play movies with DTS or 7.1 tracks through Kodi (if they're in 4K otherwise I just use the Xbox) and it transcodes them to DD 5.1
I am also looking for a solution for this. I used to use the jack/headphone out from my MacBook to connect to my tv and Dolby 5.1 system with a white/red adapter. But... I think this doesn't work anymore with the usage of the soundbar as I had to mute the sound of the tv when I set up the soundbar... Anyone any idea how I can fix this? I watch a lot of movies via netflix or other streaming services.