sonos playbar to appletv 4k to projector - no optical audio

• 3 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I am struggling mightily to figure out how to get audio to my new home theatre setup.   My old setup worked perfectly.  I hardline connected an old Gen appletv to the playbar via digital optical.  The playbar grouped wirelessly with my play 1 speakers and my sub.  I hardline connected my Apple TV to my hdmi wireless transmitter which sent the video image up to my projector.  

The issue with my new setup is that the new appletv does not include digital optical.  So I do not know how to get sound to run through my Sonos speakers.  I upgraded to the new Apple TV because I’m using YouTube tv streaming service.  Do you have any solutions to this problem?

Video Source 

-AppleTV 4k 

Audio 

Sonos PLAYBAR  

Play 1 (left)

Play 1 (right

Sub

Wireless Video Connection

Nyrius Aries Home HDMI Digital Wireless Transmitter & Receiver

Projector

BenQ HT2050a projector mounted to the ceiling 

Streaming Service 

YouTube TV

Thank you,

Loel

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You’d need to insert a device in line with the HDMI to pull off the Dolby Digital signal in optical format for the PLAYBAR to use. There’s dozens of HDMI switches with optical outputs on Amazon, pick the one that meets your number of inputs/outputs, and make sure it has an optical output for Dolby Digital. That switch would go between the Apple TV and the wireless HDMI device, and the optical cable would go from that device to your PLAYBAR.

Note, as you may already know, Sonos is not terribly projector friendly. In your case, it really depends on where the Apple TV is. If it’s close to being underneath the screen, near the PLAYBAR, you’re better off than those who have the Apple TV near the projector itself. 

BrillIant.  Thank you very much for your guidance. This is what I purchased;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YHS5E6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1