Sonos play 5 connecting to firestick using Bluetooth receiver

• 7 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi There

I recently purchased a Sonos play 5 and want to play audio on my projector through wifi or bluetooth. I have a fire stick i use on my projector - so i purchased a blue tooth receiver for my sonos speaker. Fire stick is able to recognise it and connects to it - but it gets added as a “headset” not a “speaker” and I can’t hear any sound. 

Any suggestions on what i am missing ? thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @FuntimesWithJay.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information to help you out.

I would like to share with you that even if the Sonos Five is an Airplay 2 capable device and one of the Sonos products that has a line-in feature via 3.5mm headphone jack. However, it is not a bluetooth capable device. The Sonos Five is does not have the capability to connect via bluetooth. The Sonos Move is the only Sonos product that has the capability to connect via Bluetooth. The Sonos Five is not part of the Sonos home theater family. We do not recommend using it as an audio output device from projector as the audio may not meet your expectations. Our Sonos Home theater products use HDMI or Optical cable connection to connect to a TV for better audio quality output and stable connection. However, we can always reach out to other members of the community who may have tried this type of set up and check what are their recommendations and feedback.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community. Here in the community, anyone can lend a hand. We all learn from one another.

Thanks,

Hi Paul

Thanks for this. I am aware Sonos 5 isn’t bluetooth compatible and that’s why i got a bluetooth receiver. Are you saying it won’t connect even with a bluetooth speaker ? This is for a projector on the ceiling  so I don’t have the ability to wire it in to to the projector 

Jatin