Sonos optical cable, just as good as top brands?

• 9 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I bought a playbar and a sub at Best buy and they told me the Sonos cable is junk, and I should buy this really expensive cable or at least the RocketFish cable.. Thoughts on this guys? im guessing its all a sales ploy but I don't know? has anyone did any testing to see if one is better than the other??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
All it does is carry ‘light’. The included cable is short, has a poor connection (as in does not stay in the socket that well (compared to other cables I have), and is thin (i.e basic plastic coating on the optical carrier). Whether this makes it junk depends on use case. But if changing cables and risk of wear and tear are not a concern it will perform no better or worse than a £50 cable.
@sonosjunkie is absolutely correct. I have paid £2 or less for perfectly good cables with good connectors. It's delivering digital data - it either gets there or it doesn't. The salespeople at Best Buy were either poorly informed or worse.