Question

Sonos One Surrounds Facing Up on the Floor Behind Couch?

• 30 June 2020
  • 2 replies

I have the Arc & Sub but only get Dolby 5.1 because my 2014 Vizio p702ui-b3 only has ARC with no passthrough and am very happy with the sound anyway so decided to add One surrounds. I have Just enough room behind my couch for the Ones, but no room further behind the couch and was worried that putting the them immediately behind my couch would be too close and not worth it. When I got them I set them on the floor immediately behind my couch facing up unobstructed (since I had no stands yet), ran trueplay and they sounded great and immensely added to the soundstage. I find the Ones a worthy addition to the Arc & Sub notwithstanding my surround placement limitations.

Since I decided they were keepers I sprung for Sanus stands and put the Ones in the same position behind my couch on the stands and ran trueplay again. I found that the sound was much more localized on the stands immediately behind my couch so I then spread them about 3 feet away from each end of the couch angled toward the couch and ran trueplay yet again. Regardless where I put the Ones on the stands the sound was much more localized than when behind the couch on the floor facing up, so much so that I preferred the sound from the ones on the floor as opposed to on the stands. Am I missing something? I really did not expect the Ones to sound better with a better soundstage facing up on the floor than on the stands.

Since my Vizio is not Atmos capable I placed an order for the HDFury Arcana this morning since preorders started today and am really looking forward to getting Atmos when it is released in 2-3 months. In the meantime I have to decide whether to return the stands or not.

Since Atmos is supposed to place sounds in a three-dimensional space around the listener I am wondering whether placing the Ones on the floor facing up will effect the Atmos bubble and would require placing the Ones on stands? Anyone else have a similar setup? What have you found?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think maybe I gave up on the stands too fast. I’m going to experiment angling the Ones away from the prime listening position on the couch to see if that resolves the localization issue I hear.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @no.nonsense, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response. 

There’s no one way in setting up the Home Theater System. 

You can refer to these articles for tips in setting up your surround speakers.

Surround sound guidelines and limitations

Selecting a location for your Sonos speakers

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.