Question

Sonos One SL surround setup - No sound

• 29 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Recently hooked up 2 Sonos One SL’s to my Beam as a surround pair however i’m not receiving any sound.

After doing some research it seems as though since my audio on my Samsung smart TV outputs as PCM with no option for Dolby Digital, surround will not work with the One SL’s. Has anyone else run into this issue? Are there solutions to fix the PCM to Dolby Digital issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Unless your model is rather old, I’m surprised it can’t pass DD 5.1.

Regardless, if the TV can’t send the right audio, your other option is to get the audio directly from the source (Cable box, Apple TV, etc) assuming they produce DD 5.1  You can get optical audio extractors that will take in HDMI and output HDMI + optical  for fairly cheap.  Easy to find on Amazon.

Userlevel 7

Hi jogden44

I sgest you obtain an HDMI Audio Extractor. The connections would be:

• HDMI-out from source to HDMI-in of audio extractor.
  • HDMI-out from audio extractor to HDMI-in on TV. 
  • Optical-out from Source (using the HDMI-optical adapter) to HDMI-in of Beam.

Click the link for an example. If you have multiple sources there are HDMI Audio extractors with multiple HDMI inputs.  Let us know how things sort out.

HDMI Audio Extractor

Cheers!

@melvimbeLooks like our posts crossed. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your responses. I will give that a shot. The TV is a Samsung SmartTV that we purchased around 2013/2014 and the Dolby Digital shows up as an option but is greyed out and no matter how i configured the inputs/outputs, I wasn’t able to get it to work. I will try the HDMI Audio Extractor solution. Thanks again!