Question

Sonos One (SL?) pair with AppleTV..

• 16 September 2020
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi there

Other posts have sort of looked at this but grateful for comment.

For the last five years I have had two Play:1s set up in stereo. Because of the way I listen to music now it would be helpful to also have Airplay with these so am looking to upgrade to two Sonos One in stereo.

I do not particularly wish to have a Beam/Arc as well (the room does not warrant this and I do not want surround) but I am interested in whether I would be able to use the Sonos Ones in for the audio from my AppleTV?

• Does anyone have a similar set up?
  • Can volume be controlled from the AppleTV remote (previous posts have perhaps suggested that this cannot be done because the AppleTV remote in effect links in with any home theatre speaker rather than the AppleTV being able to push the command to the Airplay speaker)?
  • Would the sound be in stereo (and not just mono from each)?
  • Would this allow for Airplay from mac/iPhone to AppleTV and then Airplay of the audio to Sonos pair?

I suspect I will be shot down and told to buy a Beam/Arc but, again, not overly keen on that and wish to just be able to maintain my stereo pair and the breadth I get from that. 

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ak10.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

Let me share with you the link to the Sonos One that has all the information about its functionality, limitation, and specification. Sonos One is not part of the Sonos Home theater family. Here is the list of the Sonos devices and the corresponding links to their functionality, limitation, and specification that are capable of connecting directly to your TV.

1. Sonos Beam
  2. Sonos Playbar
  3. Sonos Playbase
  4. Sonos Amp
  5. Sonos Arc
  • Does anyone have a similar set up? We can always reachout to other members of the community so we can consider their feedback and recommendations.
  • Can volume be controlled from the AppleTV remote (previous posts have perhaps suggested that this cannot be done because the AppleTV remote in effect links in with any home theatre speaker rather than the AppleTV being able to push the command to the Airplay speaker)? Using the Sonos One, no since it  is not part of the home theater family which means it does not have an IR repeater.
  • Would the sound be in stereo (and not just mono from each)? When 2 Sonos devices of the same model are bonded as stereo pair, they generate stereo audio and not dual mono. Dual mono would only apply to grouped individual speakers.
  • Would this allow for Airplay from mac/iPhone to AppleTV and then Airplay of the audio to Sonos pair? The Sonos One is a voice-enabled and Airplay 2 capable device, as long as the controller is Airplay capable then yes you can definitely airplay on the Sonos One. Here is a guide on how to Airplay on a Sonos Airplay capable device.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Feel free to reach out to other members of the community for their recommendations and feedback. We are always here to help.

Thanks,