Sonos Home Theater setup - especially with Roku

• 13 August 2018
  • 5 replies

This is hard to explain, but I will try. I have searched to the end of the internet and have not found anyone with our same issues. ;-/

We just purchased the Sonos playbar, two play1's (for rear channels) and the Sonos sub.

Configuration:
Pioneer Elite VSX-45 (currently set to HDMI Pass-through to TV - does not have an optical out)
Pioneer Elite TV 60 inch (only passes DD5.1 through its optical out if using an internal app...everything else goes to stereo, so I need to be able to get the audio to the Playbar a different way)
Comcast cable box (optical out direct to Playbar seems to work)
LG Blu-Ray player (optical out direct to Playbar works when selecting Dolby Digital DVD track)
Roku Premiere+ (no optical output, this has the option to select Dolby Digital as the output, however, no settings have an effect...)

I purchased an audio extractor (J-Tech Digital 4K 60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor) to split the audio off of the HDMI and send it to the playbar

First...it does not appear that my VSX-45 is passing through the unadulterated audio through HDMI...first big problem...but I could get around that by putting in an HDMI switch....

but even when bypassing the Receiver and directly connecting to the playbar (via the Audio extractor):
I can not get the Roku to work at all (only get stereo) and the Roku tested in all manner of outputs including the recommended DD (since Sonos cannot handle anything beyond DD.) I tested multiple apps including Netflix and Amazon Prime (which are the two most important to me since that is what we watch 90% of the time)...and can only get stereo. The same problems exist with the Roku Ultra

We are at the point of returning this whole system and reverting to our normal wired system - but we have been avoiding drilling holes in the floor to run wiring. For the past 3 years we have just been running a normal wired sound bar and sub, but we miss having the rear channels. We are not going to replace our (older but still awesome) $6k TV.

What is the solution? what is everyone doing with all the connected equipment? Right now, this system looks like it is really intended for the people who only have a Smart TV and want to have better sound without all the wiring headaches....and they might not even notice that the output when using the cable box or roku is not DD, because it still sounds better than their onboard TV speakers.

p.s. Using the ARC channel and Sonos Beam would encounter the same issues from the TV side

I thank you for any input 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don't have a Roku myself, so take this for what it's worth. I'd take the following steps:

1 - Double check the Roku settings and make sure it's set to DD and not DD+.

2 - Find a Netflix or amazon prime show using the smart apps on your TV that gives you Dolby Digital. Then pull up the same on the Roku to verify it's actually the Roku that isn't sending DD, not just the source material.

3 - Test that your audio extractor is doing the job properly. Use it on your blue ray playber on cable box to see that it actually passess DD on to the playbar.

4 - If the 4 above don't help and it's clearly not something the Roku can deal with, consider using a different streamer. You could use your TVs smart apps, possibly the cable box or blue ray player, or get a fire tv or other streamers. I can easily see if you're unwilling to part with the Roku interface though, so this may not be an acceptable option.
Thank you. I have tried all of those suggestions and verified that the audio extractor is behaving properly. I have tried each setting in the Roku and it has no effect. When using the TV's internal Netflix App and using the optical out to the sound bar, I properly get DD5.1, but any external HDMI connections to the TV are just sent in stereo.

I don't have a Roku myself, so take this for what it's worth. I'd take the following steps:

1 - Double check the Roku settings and make sure it's set to DD and not DD+.

2 - Find a Netflix or amazon prime show using the smart apps on your TV that gives you Dolby Digital. Then pull up the same on the Roku to verify it's actually the Roku that isn't sending DD, not just the source material.

3 - Test that your audio extractor is doing the job properly. Use it on your blue ray playber on cable box to see that it actually passess DD on to the playbar.

4 - If the 4 above don't help and it's clearly not something the Roku can deal with, consider using a different streamer. You could use your TVs smart apps, possibly the cable box or blue ray player, or get a fire tv or other streamers. I can easily see if you're unwilling to part with the Roku interface though, so this may not be an acceptable option.
I researched something similar the other day. Netflix on Roku's in general either pass dolby digital plus(which Sonos doesn't support and doesn't work on any optical connection) or stereo and nothing in between. There appears to be one version of the Roku Ultra 2016 (4640) that supports downconversion from Dobly Digital Plus to Dolby Digital (I've orderd one of these on Amazon to confirm my research). Other than that version, Roku's will only pass stereo if your device doesn't support Dobly digital plus. Recent Apple TV's are capable of downconverting Dolby Digital Plus to just Dolby Digital.
we took all the sonos stuff back. Just going to stick with wired components for now. Still love all the other standalone sonos we have in the house 🙂
The issue is that if your tv doesn’t pass Dolby digital the extractor defaults to linear pcm stereo which apparently can’t be changed. I have a digital out on my roku, and I use a optical switcher for the audio to take the tv entirely out of the equation. I know the older version of the roku ultra has an optical out port. Hope this helps. If You have any questions let me know.