Sonos Beam + Xbox One + PS4 (with PSVR)

• 5 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Sonos Beam to replace my receiver and surround speakers. One of the biggest reasons I've used the receiver is because I have an Xbox One and a PS4 with PSVR. I've seen mixed results from folks with PSVR and I'm trying to re-wire (no pun intended) my brain to think of how this will all get configured.

Note: I'm not entirely sure I have a TV that supports HDMI ARC but I'm okay with that since I still have a Kinect that does the IR Blast to turn the TV on.

I'm thinking it goes like this:
Xbox One -- > HDMI Port 1
PS4 w/ PSVR -- > HDMI Port 2
HDMI Out -- > Sonos Beam

Does that set up seem right and will this work with my PSVR?

Also, does anyone know if Alexa via voice commands is able to change inputs for the TV as well?

Thanks!
Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I'm thinking it goes like this:
Xbox One -- > HDMI Port 1
PS4 w/ PSVR -- > HDMI Port 2
HDMI Out -- > Sonos Beam

Your TV is not going to have an HDMI Out, If you got it in the past few years, it should have an HDMI input lablled 'ARC' (Audio Return Channel). You would connect the Beam to this port as it will have the capability to send audio to the Beam. If you don't have a HDMI-ARC port on your TV, you most likely have an optical audio output, which you could use.

What is the model number of your TV?

Does that set up seem right and will this work with my PSVR?

I don't have PSVR and am not terribly familiar with it, but from what I've read on these forums, I believe you'd be able to get stereo audio from this. Your xbox will be able to give you full dolby digital audio.

Also, does anyone know if Alexa via voice commands is able to change inputs for the TV as well?

It can, but not all TVs support this feature. My Samsung TV does not.
Badge
Hi there,

Thanks for your initial response.

To answer your questions...

I have an LG 47LB590P-UV and in checking out the HDMI ports on the back I’m not seeing that it has HDMI ARC ports anywhere so I’m thinking that I might be out of luck with ARC. I do have an optical audio port on the back though. Does this mean that the Beam won’t work for me or does it just mean it won’t be able to turn on devices for me? Again, I’m not super concerned with it not turning on my devices since my Xbox can do that.

Also, I’m fine with just getting stereo from the VR headset so long as the audio for non-VR games is in surround still.

Thanks!
Chris
I tried to find a user manual online for your TV and couldn't find anything. I'd be a little concerned that your TV won't passthrough a dolby digital signal from your xbox to the beam, meaning you might only get stereo. The beam will absolute connect to the TV by optical though, as it comes with the appropriate adapter. You just won't have the controls that you said were not really important anyway.