Sonos Beam with LG TV

• 26 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Beam intermittently working ,output of my LG TV on Telus system continuly stops working ,support indicates the tpye of Audio from TV causing Beam to stop working ,basicalliy its a paper wieght now ,i never know when it will work very disappointed and looks like ill return and try a competitor .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Did you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Yes I’ve spoken twice , same thing the TV didn’t send proper audio format , kinda wrong as that comes from Telus and there compression , I’ve requested a supervisor they sent me number to call in I just haven’t call yet but the Sonos should do this Automatically.

How is your Beam connected?

If it is via HDMI-ARC, the Beam is supposed to be telling the computer in the TV that controls CEC that it is both an audio ‘sink’, and what formats it can process. Of course, that CEC message depends on CEC ( or whatever Samsung calls it. Anylink+ maybe? ) is turned on, and that the source device sending any data to the TV set is also connected via HDMI and is CEC compliant. 

However, if you’re using an optical connection, it is one way only, and you have to tell the TV set not to send anything more than Dolby Digital (due to bandwidth limitations of optical) and also tell any device sending data to the TV the same. 

Yes I’ve spoken twice , same thing the TV didn’t send proper audio format , kinda wrong as that comes from Telus and there compression , I’ve requested a supervisor they sent me number to call in I just haven’t call yet but the Sonos should do this Automatically.

Sonos Beam is just a speaker that merely plays these ‘common’ TV audio formats… See link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-home-theater-audio-formats

Anything outside of those formats may not play correctly. Any ‘reputable’ device will have the ability to select an audio format that is supported by both the TV and Beam - so in the case here, my TV cable supplier provides Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo channels. My TV in-built Apps support both those formats plus Dolby Digital Plus/Atmos etc. so I can play everything on my TV without any issues and just to say I use the Beam aswell, together with an LG C9 TV connected over HDMI-eARC / Simplink (CEC) control enabled and not had any issues.

So if your A/V provider is not supplying the correct audio to the TV, then it’s down to that supplier and yourself to resolve as the audio formats of the Beam are clearly stated in the link above. They’re also the most common audio formats that a majority of TV’s (including LG TV’s) tend to support these days.

Guys thank you for confirming ,I have gone through all these issue being retired from industry I get it ,I’m disappointed in the tech response after asking me to reboot reboot with the same results been there many many years windows reboot reboot issue in past lol .i asked for senior support for what they will do but was handed a phone number to call not impressed this day and age poor customer service which is where I was working most of my working life 😉

Thanks