Answered

Sonos Beam with LG - optical or ARC?

• 7 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a new LG UN8100 6LB which features an option for using the TV surround sound and the optical out simultaneously. I have a beam which is currently connected via HDMI ARC. 

I don’t care about losing voice control features if I switch to optical - what are the audio benefits/pitfalls of the two options: HDMI Arc to Beam or TV surround + optical to Beam ?

icon

Best answer by John B 7 March 2021, 11:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  Given that the Beam can only do DD5.1 or stereo, I don’t think there is any inherent difference in sound quality between HDMI-ARC and optical.  I would wonder about sync but this may be fine as the TV is controlling everything.  I have absolutely no idea what the combination of TV speakers and Beam will sound like.  The obvious suggestion is try it.

Thanks John B, appreciate you taking the time.

I was hoping for a more technical response though, I can definitely “just try it and see”, but would like to know if this has been tested by Sonos or anyone else & what the results are?