Answered

Sonos Beam: TV has no HDMI ARC port so is optical functionality limited?

• 9 June 2018
  • 3 replies

My Samsung only has an HDMI and HDMI DVI ports, no ARC. I have a DVD player and Apple TV in those HDMI ports. With the Beam connected through the optical cable, What functionality will I be losing as compared to the HDMI ARC?
icon

Best answer by Paulw123 9 June 2018, 11:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
With optical, you will loose interactive control of the tv, ie switching Beam on will not turn tv on, or select the correct hdmi output on the tv, nor will tv remote adjust Beam volume automatically etc

Beware if a lot of your DVDs have DTS soundtracks, you will get no sound out of any Sonos product (possibly you might get 2channel PCM stereo). You would need a dvd player that converts DTS to DD5.1 on the fly. Sonos only works with DD5.1 through optical, or HDMI with the beam.
Is there a converter / workaround for enabling the interactive control of the tv if it doesn't have ARC.
Thanks.
Is there a converter / workaround for enabling the interactive control of the tv if it doesn't have ARC.
Thanks.

No. Without ARC, you have no HDMI connection. Without HDMI, you have no CEC.