Sonos Beam TV audio quality drops issue

Hi Sonos Team,

I have a Sonos Beam with 2 x Sonos Ones and I'm having an issue with sound quality from my TV while watching video. The bar is conected via HDMI 1 ARC and I'm using Apple TV 4th Gen with it. When I listen to music using Sonos App or Apple TV everything seems to be OK but when watching TV video (Hulu/Netflix/HBO/Amzon/Plex apps) on my Apple TV they are constant audio quality drops (less then 1s) on all Sonos speakers that are happening constantly every few minutes when playing back any video content.

The issues seems to be only related to any video content played through my TV. Even though I'm connected to the TV via HDMI I tried to different wifi channels and different Apple TV settings to no avail.

My TV is Samsung UN65HU8550 4K Ultra HD LED Smart 3D 65".

Please can you assist to troubleshoot. This is a very expensive setup and I can't really say I'm enjoying it as my previous Samsung wifi sound bar for $160 did a better job of playing TV without any quality drops.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
I have the same issue. I used to connect my TV to a Play 5 using the headphone Jack. That caused drops when playing through other speakers. Sonos told me it was because I wasn’t using a proper connection with a Playbar. I am now bia a Beam and ARC HDMI and it is still happening. Very frustrating.

Sonos Team please advise?
Hi same issue here sonos beam plus apple tv intermittent sound drop outs playing movies via plex
Any solution appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Typically, audio dropouts are due to problems like latency on the network or interference. Let's take a closer look and see I can advise on some next steps. Please replicate the problem and submit a diagnostic report. Be sure to reply here with the confirmation number and I will be happy to follow up.
Userlevel 2
Having the similar problems with the Beam. White light starts flashing and sound goes though the LG tv is running ok through Amazon Firstick
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Having the same issue with the drops out, my issues are with playing music over airplay 2 ,
Badge
I am also having issues with sound dropping out every few seconds, very frustrating. tried changing the source but both Tivo and Scientific Atlanta Cable box both drop sound when through Beam. Tried changing the HDMI Arc cable to the Optical, no difference.
If you have the Beam hooked up via HDMI (ARC) there should be no network or latency issues concerning the internal network. I have Comcast cable and the TV is hooked up via coaxial cable. The Beam intermittently drops sound while watching TV. I have no issues when streaming music over wifi. Please advise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you have the Beam hooked up via HDMI (ARC) there should be no network or latency issues concerning the internal network. I have Comcast cable and the TV is hooked up via coaxial cable. The Beam intermittently drops sound while watching TV. I have no issues when streaming music over wifi. Please advise.

Hi ceisner,

Please send in a diagnostic report after you hear the audio issue. Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look for you.
Same setup as michael3345. Same issue (same results with optical and hdmi). Struggling to understand the price tag paid for a non functional product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same setup as michael3345. Same issue (same results with optical and hdmi). Struggling to understand the price tag paid for a non functional product.

Hi there,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you.
Badge
Keith N. here is my diagnostics confirmation number 1154781231 please advise, can not enjoy watching TV with the Beam, need to make a decision ASAP before I can no longer return the item. thank you.
Following this thread with interest. Bought a Beam, Sub and Onex2 last week and get the same problem here.
The problem occurs only when I watch TV. I disconnected everything but the Beam and the problem is still there.
Sound drops for a second and then returns, very annoying. The Beam is connected to a HDMI (ARC) at my Samsung (UE55KS8005T) TV and connected to the LAN with a network cable.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Sound drops briefly (millisecs) & randomly on Beam when playing catch-up streams via Amazon FireTV . ARC on Samsung M series TV.

Diagnostic number: 660464983
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
So, I see the forum is littered with innumerable diagnostics. So what happens to these, do they ever get acknowledged, answered, etc.?
Usually, yes, especially if they're in a "new" topic, rather than appended to someone elses topic. But you can "push" the issue as well by getting in touch with Sonos' 24/7 support folks on either the Twitter or Facebook areas. See: contact Sonos
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Thanks. I refuse to use Twitter and Facebook - so I guess I'll have to open a new topic.
Heh. Completely understand, I'm much the same way. I've seen a few posts in the last several weeks from Sonos staff where they suggest a new topic, I'll look forward to seeing yours.
Sound drops briefly (millisecs) & randomly on Beam when playing catch-up streams via Amazon FireTV . ARC on Samsung M series TV.

Diagnostic number: 660464983

It will likely be intermittent wireless interference on your Beam from your other entirely separate router network as Keith from Sonos has indicated in the other thread you have created.

You will still be better off putting your devices on SonosNet linked off one router and operating them with one controller as mentioned previously in this much thread ...

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/shambolic-frustrating-experience-attempting-to-purchase-from-sonos-shop-in-europe-6811600

If you don't follow the advice then you are likely to continue to get these network issues.
Castalla,

I would also turn off HDMI-CEC too on your fire stick, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum.