Answered

Sonos Beam & Sonos One as PC pc speaker - delay issue

• 21 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

As my passive hifi system hooked to the PC has massive humming/buzzing sound, I wanted to give my Sonos Beam & 2x Sonos Ones as an alternative a shot. After loads of fiddling around, I managed to connect the Beam (via optical from sound card & Sonos optical to HDMI adapter). Also, I noticed the volume of the Beam is quite low, even if I have the volume at 100% in all PC settings (Windows 10).

However, when connecting the 2x Sonos Ones in conjunction with the Beam, I have a terrible delay (as they’re probably connected as rear speakers in a surround setup). I read in another thread that someone put the Ones in a different room group, however not sure how that’s supposed to work/kill the delay.

Any ideas how to improve the volume and pair the Beam and Ones on PC without delay?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by controlav 21 June 2021, 17:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like you Grouped them with the Beam, which will get you a terrible delay. You need to Bind them as surrounds and the delay will be gone. (ie the opposite of what you think you read).

Hi guys,

As my passive hifi system hooked to the PC has massive humming/buzzing sound, I wanted to give my Sonos Beam & 2x Sonos Ones as an alternative a shot. After loads of fiddling around, I managed to connect the Beam (via optical from sound card & Sonos optical to HDMI adapter). Also, I noticed the volume of the Beam is quite low, even if I have the volume at 100% in all PC settings (Windows 10).

I would think the volume issue is a problem with the soundcard.  If you have a TV or something similar with an optical output, you could hook up the beam to that and see if you stilll have a volume issue, to narrow down the issue.

However, when connecting the 2x Sonos Ones in conjunction with the Beam, I have a terrible delay (as they’re probably connected as rear speakers in a surround setup). I read in another thread that someone put the Ones in a different room group, however not sure how that’s supposed to work/kill the delay.

If you have the Ones setup as rear surround speakers, there should be no delay in the audio.  If you have them setup as a separate Sonos room, then you would hear the delay you speak of.   Since you said ‘probably’, I’m guessing you don’t have your speakers setup correctly.

To clarify, the delay you’re talking about is between the Beam and Ones, not between Beam+Ones and the video you see on your PC monitor, correct?

Any ideas how to improve the volume and pair the Beam and Ones on PC without delay?

Thanks!

Was able to eliminate the delay through adding the Sonos Ones as surround speakers in the same group, thanks guys!