Sonos Beam + Receiver + projector setup

• 1 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Need Help with set-up. I connected my Beam to the Receiver using the HDMI/Optical converter - plugged into the Optical TV/Sat digital output slot. Have Roku HDMI to receiver Input. Have HDMI cable from Receiver output to projector HDMI input (not arc).

The Roku displays content through the projector successfully. The problem is that the Beam does not produce sound but the projector does (poorly of course).

What am I doing wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think I'd start troubleshooting by ignoring the TV / projector part of it completely, and just focus on getting the optical output working. Since optical is a one way connection, the Beam has absolutely no idea what is on the other side of it, it only knows if a valid signal is coming through.

Which raises a couple of questions.

1) do you know that a signal is coming through? If you unplug the optical cable from the HDMI/Optical converter while the system is playing, is there a red light coming through?

2) Do you know what kind of signal is being sent through the optical cable? For instance, if it's DTS, then the Beam won't be able to recognize/process it. It has to be either a stereo (PCM) stream, or a Dolby Digital stream. I seem to remember a few threads around here that indicate some particular issue with Roku streams not being in Dolby Digital, so that would be something I'd pay particular attention to.

Generally, I don't think you're doing anything wrong here, I think there's just some refinements that need to occur. And maybe check the manual for the receiver to make sure that there's not a "here's how your turn on optical output" setting 🙂
thanks Bruce, I will try that and report back