Sonos Beam playing all TV audio in stereo vs. 5.1

• 20 July 2018
  • 6 replies

I have a Samsung UN55B7000 TV. This TV does not seem to pass-through DD 5.1 through the optical audio (TOSLink).

I was able to get the Sonos Beam to send audio with the provided HDMI-to-TOSLink adapter. However, when I look at the Sonos iOS app, everything shows up as "Stereo."

I previously had a Sonos Playbase, and I had to have an HDMI Switch in order to make it work with a cable box, Apple TV, DVD, etc. I was under the impression that buying a Sonos Beam would allow me to no longer need an HDMI switch. But now it seems that, while I can use my Sonos without the switch, I'm forced to get my audio in Stereo vs. DD 5.1.

How can I get DD 5.1 without the need for a switch? Or is this a limitation of the Beam when the TV doesn't support DD 5.1 passthrough in the optical audio / HDMI ARC?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Use one of these to force the TV to send 5.1 over optical: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had the same problem with my LG TV. I switched Digital Sound Out from PCM to Auto, and I got Dolby Digital 5.1
This may only work for an LG TV, but I hope it helps.
Use one of these to force the TV to send 5.1 over optical: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks controlav. I have ordered this component, and it should arrive in the next 1-2 weeks. I will report back to the forum once I have hooked it up and let everyone know the results.

Just one question: will I be able to go direct TV-HDMI-device-Sonos, or will I need to use the HDMI-to-optical attachment still? I'm sure I can figure it out through experimentation, just curious if you know from past experience or from knowledge of how this device works. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I don't know enough about ARC or the Beam to answer as I have neither, sorry. Just Playbars.
Hey BammBammTN, fellow volunteer here, do you have any update on that component switch you ordered? I’m experiencing similar issues, wondering if I should buy this.
BammBamm,
I too am awaiting the results of the component addition to get the 5.1 sound. Please keep us informed.