Sonos Beam Out Of Sync

• 25 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I have recently (6mths) purchased a Beam, hooked up to a Sony Bravia TV. By either HDMI or Optical sound is behind the picture.

While your app allows adjustment to delay the audio, what we need is the option to push it ahead. This is something I am aware of that is an issue, my neighbours also have it, and I have seen other complaints on Twitter yet you won’t fix it. Why? 

I have another thread and issue with your devices and the S1 controller , this is the final straw. I have completely lost faith in your company, I’ve been a customer since Gen 1 of the Play 5, nearly 10 years - it used to be superb, now it appears you simply don’t care, disgusting really given the cost of the equipment.

My parents have invested in a Bose equivalent which just works, as do friends Alexas at a quarter of the cost.

Not on. Fix it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Is the audio delayed from all sources? Do you have any settings on your TV or media devices that might be changing the audio in any way like a volume leveler or an audio enhancement?

Yes. All content comes from a Sky Q box (Netflix/Disney/Prime etc), but the audio is hooked up with the USB ARC port on the TV. I’ve tried the HDMI/Optical adaptor that came with the beam but that makes no difference. I’ve turned off most of the Sound handling settings on the TV menus, I found one late last night when I posted this to do with compression - it was set to PCM, and is now set to ‘Auto 1’ which claims ‘Compression with no other handling’, so I’ll see how that goes. Admittedly these settings mean little or nothing to me, but it’s super frustrating, it’s only milliseconds out, but hugely noticeable. I had a very old Orbitsound bar hooked up before buying the Beam using a purely Optical cable, and it worked perfectly.

From Sony’s Support Site

Digital Audio Out: Sets the audio signal that is output by connecting using digital audio output (optical)* cable or HDMI cable.

• Only on limited region/country/TV model.

Auto 1

Output compressed audio without change.

Auto 2

Output only compressed audio for multichannel content without change.

PCM

Always output in PCM.

Userlevel 7

What specific model TV do you own? When connected via HDMI, does changing the HDMI Audio Output settings on the Sky Q box make any difference?

Try each of these combination of settings:

1. Connected via HDMI, Sky Q set to Dolby Digital, TV set to Auto 2

2. Connected via HDMI, Sky Q set to Normal, TV set to Auto 1 or PCM

3. Connected via Optical, Sky Q set to Normal, TV set to Auto 1 or PCM

I’ll try these out and get back to you. I know you can change settings on the Q box for Audio, including Delay, but when I’ve tried these previously it’s made no difference sadly.