Sonos Beam + NVIDIA Shield with Samsung KS7005

• 11 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi, i have a “problem” with my setup, that i can read many people have.

My setup is:
TV: Samsung UE49KS7005
Nvidia Shield 16gb 2017 version
Sonos Beam+2play:1 rear speaker.

Cable:
HDMI ARC between TV and beam
Shield connected to HDMI port on samsung tv HDMI input.

When ever i play Netflix, plex movies on the build in app on my TV, the sound is decoded fine to Dolby digital 5.1.

but everything on my shield i play is mainly “Stereo 2.0” when i look in my sonos.

i know it has something to do with the sonos beam dont support DTS and whatever more.

first i thought i would look for a new soundbar setup, that could handle almost all codec from the shield, but before i do that.

Could this be solved by buying a media player, maybe apple tv or whatever, that can “decode” or transfer the signals to Dolby digital plus?

i just want a setup where everything i play isnt being downgraded to stereo, but either DTS / dolby dependent on what i watch on plex / netflix.

or a smart nice media-player i can connect to my TV / beam that can keep my movies playing in surround / dolby without converting to stereo.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You don’t want to transfer the signals to Dolby Digital Plus, the Beam can’t read that codec either. You should be able to go into the audio settings for the NVIDIA Shield, and set that to send only Dolby Digital to your TV, which should then pass that to the Sonos Beam. 

I don’t own a Shield, but if you have difficulty, touch base with NVIDIA’s CS group to get instructions. 

Literally having the same problem. Just got the beam today, plugged the beam It into the ARC HDMI port of the TV. Then have the shield connected to my TV via HDMI. I can't get anything but 2.0 to come out. 

I downloaded the Plex app on the Samsung TV and sure enough 5.1 works fine ..

any idea why this is happening? 

a month ago, I sold my shield, bought a Apple TV 4K, and it can decode everything DTS what so ever into DD 5.1 every movie on Netflix, Plex and other are decoded correctly..

I’d go Apple TV 4K but they don’t have the support for the IPTV apps I want to use (APK/Android based)

So this happens when the Samsung TV doesn't support audio passthrough from one hdmi to another, I have the exact same issue. 

I'm currently looking at some form of optical splitter to plug the shield into, the beam via optical and then the Samsung on the output, this way it should work as 5.1 but not tested as yet to find one in stock that doesn't cost a fortune. 

This kind of problem is happening to very much people, giving a bad user experience for these. It would be solved very easily if Sonos updates the Beam's firmware to play dolby digital plus, which is the standard format for streaming services.  I don't understand why they don't do it