Answered

Sonos Beam Gen2 Connect to Smart TV but not working with Laptop

• 15 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi all, 

I don't really have problems putting my Sonos Beam working in my TV. It stream's Dolby Atmos on Netflix, HBO Max and Prime flawless.

The thing is when I connect my laptop to the TV. I connect the laptop with an HDMI cable, but when I'm trying to setup Atmos home Theater it doesn't recognize it and I'm struggling to find a way to stream movies from my laptop to the TV and return Atmos, I'm only getting PCM audio. I understand that the problem might be related to the fact that even though the Beam is connected via eARC the laptop is only connected by normal HDMI. 

Does exist a workaround for this? 

How can I use my tv as a extended screen of my computer and have Atmos.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 June 2022, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure I understand everything here, but currently I’m struggling with the forum software, so it may have distracted me.

When you’re using your computer, you’re connecting it via HDMI to the TV set, correct? The Beam itself is staying connected to the TV’s ARC/eARC port?

The TV is the device that creates ARC/eARC in your system. It’s not created by any of the sources, either cable box, computer, game system, whatever. It’s the TV set.

So if you’re connecting your computer to your TV with a standard HDMI cable, your issue is with the program on the computer, or the computer’s settings themselves as to whether it is sending an Atmos Signal to the TV set, which then passes it along to the Beam. I’d be looking strongly at the computer’s and application’s settings. 

Userlevel 7

What version of Windows are you using? What model Sony TV do you have?

I have a sony kd55zg7196 and I'm using windows 10.

I am trying to use the app Dolby Access and try content it always comes out as Stereo PCM 2.0

Don't know if the issue it's because the PC is connected via a normal HDMI, but my tv only has one eARC entrance. I don't really want to believe that doesn't exist a workaround for this.

Userlevel 7

Is this model number correct? I don’t get any results when I Google it.

Have you adjusted the Sound Output and Sound Control Panel settings in Windows? Can you post photos of the current settings?

Is this model number correct? I don’t get any results when I Google it.

Have you adjusted the Sound Output and Sound Control Panel settings in Windows? Can you post photos of the current settings?

Sorry, you are correct, I copied the wrong model number. It's this one kd55xg8196. 

On the sound options, I have in the output device I Sony TV 

When I go the Dolby Access app and I play a demo, I'm getting now  Dolby Atmos DD+

But I downloaded the Amaze true hd Atmos lossless and played in VLC I only get pcm 2.0. 

In the spatial sound settings best I get is Dolby Atmos for headphones

I'm really going crazy how to put this to function. I wouldn't mind paying the Atmos license if it's what's missing, but I don't understand if this the problem.

Since I'm not able in the Spatial Sound settings put Dolby Atmos him Theater

What other settings you want to see, so I can share?

Userlevel 7

Are you 100% certain your TV is equipped with HDMI eARC or is it just equipped with HDMI ARC?

If you download the “Amaze” demo (or any other Dolby Atmos video) in Dolby Digital Plus, does it play Dolby Atmos audio through the Beam?

Do you have any options under Sound Control Panel > Playback in Windows? If so, what are the options and what do you see if you click on Configure or Properties? Actual photos would be helpful.

I’d also think there are audio settings in the VLC app that should be checked. 

Bringing back this topic to life, just to say that I was able to fix my issue using Plex. I'm able to stream from any file in my computer to my tv and get Dolby Atmos on the tv/Sonos beam.