Answered

Sonos Beam Drops TV Audio For Extended Periods

• 11 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I just purchased the Beam. Already have (4) Play 3s and (2) Play Ones and a bridge. Had already experienced some lag and intermittent cut out so through trial and error I reset the WIFI channel to 11 and got the existing speakers worked fine. I added the Beam to a Samsung UN43NU6900FXZA 4K UDH television. I connected using HDMI cables. Set up the Beam using the Sonos App. Though there were a couple hiccups, it connected and created a Theater Systems with the Beam and (2) Play 3s. Works fine for 3, 5 even 15 minutes then audio cuts out while watching TV. It might stay off for 3, 5 or even 15 minutes, then it cuts on. I played with the TV settings for audio which allowed for TV speakers, HDMI, and a third Optical option. It came up as connected to HDMI. When I toggled up to TV SPEAKER it would for a brief moment, play on the TV but then it would shift back to HDMI still with no sound. If I moved it to optical, it wouldn't stay there either. Obviously, it's picking up a signal through the HDMI port. Alexa works though sometimes oddly, I ask Beam Alexa a question only to have Echo Dot Alexa answer in another room (not worried about that). Music seems to work fine. I have noticed that it wants to stay fixed on TV on the APP and I have to switch back and forth between sources to get it to switch at all. I've read several threads but haven't found one quite like the issue I'm having though it does seem that Sonos and Samsung don't play nice.
icon

Best answer by jcd300 13 December 2018, 21:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Well sometimes you just have to fess up. I see enough messages on here of people blaming Sonos for everything that they don't control (wifi quality, interfernce, apple itunes, etc) so I better admit I was wrong. I thought this was truly a Sonos Samsung issue. The HDMI cable that came with the Sonos wasn't long enough so I used an existing one. Happened to have a better quality one handy, tried it. Problem solved. Sorry for the bother.
It's indeed unfortunate that there are several differing HDMI cable types, which all look exactly the same. Makes it hard to know if you're using HDMI 1.1, all the way to HDMI 2.1, and each has slightly differing characteristics, but no change in looks.

And to be honest, it's not something I think about much, either, but sometimes the simplest change is the one that works. Delighted you were able to figure that one out.