Answered

Sonos Beam as center with four additional Zone Players

• 10 September 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi Sonos,

I'd like to setup a home theater with the Sonos Beam as a center speaker, two Play:3 as front and two Play:1 as rear channels. Is this possible?

Thanks
Michael
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 September 2018, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

That is not possible. The Beam contains the left, right, and center channels in itself and cannot send L or R audio to other sonos speakers.
Hmm, okay. Then Sonos should count this as a feature request. 😉
That should be fixable by software?

Thanks
Michael
I doubt it. There needs to a separate 'wifi radio' in the unit to communicate with different speakers. It looks like the unit has 3 for use in home theatre speaker bonding (2 rears + sub), and probably doesn't have extras for this purpose.

Sonos is coming out with a new product 'Sonos Amp' that you can setup 2 wired front speakers with a simulated center channel. Don't know if this is more to your liking.

Also, this isn't an uncommon request. Maybe one day...
There's no radio-related limitation. Beam has two radios: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Each can simultaneously talk to multiple devices.

It is 'just' a matter of software, and business priorities of course.
There's no radio-related limitation. Beam has two radios: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Each can simultaneously talk to multiple devices.

It is 'just' a matter of software, and business priorities of course.

I stand corrected then. Thanks Ratty.
If it is technically possible via software why isn't it supported? It's obvious from the forums there is plenty of demand that would translate into additional sales if support was added so one assumes Sonos would've added it if they could to increase their revenue.

In detail: from my point of view I already have a stereo pair of 5's which I want to upgrade to a surround system by adding a centre channel beam (with the connectivity to my TV improvements it provides), 2 rear 1s and a sub.

But I find that probably the best I can do is move my 5s to the rear channels and add a beam and a sub. So at least down the sale of two play 1s for Sonos.

In reality I'm probably not going to take that option as I don't want to lose sound quality when listening to music in stereo, the main reason I have the system. Sonos are going to miss out on the sale of a beam, a sub and two ones.

Its obvious from the forums many others are in the same boat, wanting to buy more speakers to have as dedicated L+R front channels but finding that isn't supported.

The logical conclusion must be that it isn't technically possible via software otherwise Sonos would've added support to get the additional sales. I can't fathom what that technical limitation would be though, something to do with wifi channels or bandwidth maybe?
If it is technically possible via software why isn't it supported? It's obvious from the forums there is plenty of demand that would translate into additional sales if support was added so one assumes Sonos would've added it if they could to increase their revenue.

Not necessarily. Support comes with cost. You'd have develop the code, test it, and then maintain it. And it's just getting it to work, but customers will also want to true play tune it. And this would not just be the Beam, but the playbar and playbase as well. And I honestly thinking testing is going to be rather extensive since you're increasing the number of bonded units from 4 to at least 6..

Then there is the aspect that it complicates the setup of something Sonos wants to keep simple. And will customers throw a fit at what amounts to a $400-$700 center channel?

I'm not saying that it can't be profitable or that I wouldn't want it myself, but it's not quite easy money.