Answered

Sonos Beam and Sonos One in stereo (for TV sound)

• 14 July 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a room that has a lot of background noise from a fan that kicks on and off (that cannot be eliminated). My TV is in the front of the room and I current have a Sonos Beam connected to the TV. The problem is you cannot hear the TV voices in the back of the room without turning the volume way up. The voices get drowned out by the fan. I’m trying to get a setup where I have a soundbar in the front of the room and another speaker in the back of the room both playing the same TV sound.

My TV installers, BestBuy, and Walmart all indicated that I could do this by adding a Sonos One and setting it up as stereo. I have tried that and I cannot seem to get the Sonos One to play any of the TV sounds.

Has anyone else figured out a solution to this? Is it possible to the bean and one to be in stereo (not surround)? Any recommendations?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 14 July 2021, 20:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Bestbuy and Walmart are wrong.  First off, what you really want is for your beam to play stereo (2 channels of audio) and your Sonos One to play mono (1 channel) of the same audio. You can’t ‘bond’ a single Sonos One to a Beam to form a single Sonos room, you would need two Sonos Ones, and they would be surround sound only. 

What you can do is setup your Beam and one as separate Sonos rooms, able to different audio, or grouped together temporarily to play the same audio.  However, if the audio you want to play is TV audio, the Beam will play the audio immediately to avoid lip sync issues while the Sonos One will be slightly behind.  That will create an echo effect that most people don’t find acceptable.  You can give it a try and see what you think.

There isn’t really a better wireless solution for this that I’m aware of.  It’s not an uncommon request though, so maybe in the future.