Sonos Beam and Sky: Remote Control

• 10 November 2018
  • 1 reply

I'm getting myself into a bit of a mess with the remote control situation with my Beam!

I have Sky and a Sony TV so, ordinarily, I would program my Sky remote to control the volume on my Sony TV.

Now, I was under the impression that, with some help from HDMI-CEC, I'd plug the Beam into my TV and my Sky remote would control the volume on the Beam (instead of the TV). I didn't think I'd have to enter a new code for my Sky remote?

After a bit of tinkering, I discovered an option in the Sonos app which allows you to 'enable IR'. I did that... pointed my Sky remote at the Beam, pressed the volume up button... and hey presto... volume was now being controlled.

However, I am finding it very, very unreliable. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I'd say, at the moment it's not working more often than it is!

So should I be disable 'IR' in the Sonos app and using HDMI-CEC?

I'm pretty confused!

Thanks
Nick

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I've just got a Sonos Beam and tried to set it up with my Sky remote and it is not working.
I follow the steps on the app and it recognises the remote - as in, when it says "press the volume up button" - it registers. It then asks me to "press the volume up button three times" and, when I do, it moves it on to the next screen but says that it "can't recognise the remote presses" (or similar).

So, at this point, I can't use my Sky TV remote to control Sonos Beam.

I'm going through the optical rather than HDMI ARC - fyi.