Sonos Beam and Play 5 audio sync/echo issue from eARC on Samsung TV

• 14 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone! I’m excited to have Sonos, but I have a question.

First off, I just bought a samsung q80 tv for black friday. I couldn’t figure out a way to connect my Sonos Play 5 (gen 2) to my TV, so I read online that if I bought a Beam, and plugged that into my eARC port, then grouped my beam and play 5 together, then the audio would come out of both speakers.

This is TRUE, HOWEVER for some reason it sounds like there’s an echo or a delay or something with the sound. Both speakers are pretty much just under the TV, so it’s not the positioning. Can you guys please help me on how to correct this? I LOVE the base and sound from my play 5. It was so much easier with my last TV that just had an aux port, honestly. What i’ve been doing is in the grouping in the app turning off the volume on the beam and just keeping the volume for the play 5, which honestly seems like a HUGE waste. If i can’t figure out a solution I’ll probably end up returning the beam 😞.

Lastly, do you know any way that I can control the volume of my group/pair or even individual sonos speakers with my TV remote? Or do you guys have a different remote I could buy that would work? I can’t figure out how to get the samsung smart remote that came with the TV to pair with it

Thank you so much for your help everyone, I really appreciate it. I hope you all have a merry Christmas/happy holidays!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dineshsahu.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would like to share with you some information to better understand what is going on and how to proceed with your current setup.

The Sonos Beam can be connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. only the Sonos Arc supports HDMI eARC connection with the TV. Allow me to share with you the guide about supported home theater audio formats. The Audio codec that passes through the HDMI eARC port of the TV are Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, and MCLPCM which is supported and only available through the Sonos ARC. I would like to recommend connecting the Sonos Beam through the HDMI ARC port and observe the audio quality. Regarding the delay, there is a delay when grouping Sonos products to a Sonos Home theater speaker. This has been verified by both our engineers and other members of the community. Unless you add 2 Sonos products as surrounds to your Sonos Beam, that's the only way not to have any delay in the audio feedback.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Regarding the delay, there is a delay when grouping Sonos products to a Sonos Home theater speaker. This has been verified by both our engineers and other members of the community.

“Verified”? That makes it sound like it’s a fault. The additional buffering (and hence latency) is by design.

Unless you add 2 Sonos products as surrounds to your Sonos Beam, that's the only way not to have any delay in the audio feedback.

Thank you for responding! So does that mean that I have to buy another play 5, then somehow mount them to the left and right to be able to use them? If I wanted an an audio experience like the play 5 (the beam is definitely nothing like the play 5), should i return the beam and get a different sonos product instead? What product(s) can i buy that can sound like the play 5 but without the delay/lag?

Thank you for responding! So does that mean that I have to buy another play 5, then somehow mount them to the left and right to be able to use them? If I wanted an an audio experience like the play 5 (the beam is definitely nothing like the play 5), should i return the beam and get a different sonos product instead? What product(s) can i buy that can sound like the play 5 but without the delay/lag?

Here’s the scoop:  TV requires very low latency in order to keep the audio in sync with the video, low latency that is given by a 5 GHz private connection between a Beam/Arc and other surround sound speakers (rear L/R surrounds and/or Sub).  As for grouping (what you are trying to do), 5 GHz may have low latency, but it does not penetrate walls or floors as well as 2.4 GHz.  That’s fine for a surround sound setup which is all in one room, but not good for multiple rooms grouped to play the same source.  So a compromise is made when grouping rooms to play TV, the Beam/Arc stays in sync with the TV, while the other rooms are buffered to play over the 2.4 GHz band.  In short, grouping any Sonos speaker to play TV audio in the same room as an Arc/Beam is not optimum.  

Note: All of the above applies to TV sources only.  Music sources are in sync when grouped with an Arc/Beam.