Sonos Arc with Apple TV 4K Audio Format (Dolby MAT encoder) Sound Quality Questions

• 20 November 2022
  • 1 reply

I do know Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT encoder, and apps like Netflix will show the “PCM Multichannel 5.1” instead of something like “Dolby PCM Multichannel 5.1” for this reason. When I play the same show from Apple TV 4K (PCM Multichannel 5.1) and from the internal TV’s app (Dolby PCM Multichannel 5.1), I can easily find “Dolby PCM Multichannel 5.1” is more dynamic, more detailed and louder.   

My questions: Is “PCM Multichannel 5.1” the more RAW and accurate one? Or it is just a downside of how tvOS processes the audio format? Should we use “dolby digital 5.1” in Apple TV’s audio format when we are not watching any Dolby Atmos contents?

Thank you in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not owning an Arc I’d say “trust your ears”. Here’s more: https://thehometheaterdiy.com/what-is-dolby-mat/