Answered

Sonos Arc/ Sony A9G Arc Idle Black Screen

Badge

When I’m watching cable TV, the television goes into idle with a black screen and Bravia logo on the right bottom corner of the television. What is the work around for this ? I’ve tried everything. Seems like I’m not alone as other Sony users have seen this issue. Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 16 June 2020, 23:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Badge +2

Not a Sonos issue does not really the right place, but have you checked the sleep settings on the TV?

Badge

Not a Sonos issue does not really the right place, but have you checked the sleep settings on the TV?

It is a Sonos issue as Sony said the Arc doesn’t keep the tv on. Sony told me to reach out to Sonos. I didn’t have this issue with my Sonos playbar 

Badge +2

Well given that the screen is showing Bravia how does that make it a Sonos issue, all the Arc does is take the audio from your TV. It will be a setting on your TV that is causing it to do that, again, nothing to do with the ARC, the ARC has no control over your TV, so cannot keep it on or anything else.

Badge +2

And just because Sony tell you something doesn’t make it fact. They’ll usually pass the buck like any other first line support.

just because the Playbar didn’t do it still doesn’t mean it’s not a setting in the TV. Have you looked at the sleep, HDMI sleep settings? Have you looked at the Eco settings on your tv?

Badge

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I don’t know what I’m doing as far as this issue goes. I’ll reach out to Sony once again. Thanks everyone

Badge +2

Seriously, check the settings on the tv. You haven’t mentioned if you’ve done that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

This may help pin down where the issue is happening…

The source of your TV video is the device that should be sending the “keep awake” signal if the TV is looking for one, for less smart TVs, they’re just looking for a signal from the video connection. If one is there, the TV will stay awake. 

Sonos Arc is being sent the audio over HDMI and playing it, though Arc can send a video display if the TV is set to be playing that input, it’s just a splash screen.

If this only happens from the cable TV, the “keep awake” may need to come from that device, but it’s most likely within the TV’s sleep settings, as suggested. This page may have the right settings to check on: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00091584

Userlevel 1

This is happening to me too. With my Sony A8H. Not just with cable. Also with Netflix. This is in addition to other issues with the ARC. The sound just disappears while watching Netflix. 

Userlevel 1

I think the idea of the presence sensor may be a good one. But I can’t seem to find out where to turn off the sensor on the A8H. 

Userlevel 1

Wonder if it’s the hdmi board....

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have the same exact issue.  It happens when changing input sources.  It starting happening around the time I received the Arc.  Tried everything and just can’t figure it out.  Very annoying.

Only way to fix it is to turn the tv and device off, wait about 30 seconds and turn back on again to correct input.  Annoying though.

I had this problem with my A8H. I tried everything I could find on this and AVS forum.  I solved it by doing a factory reset of the TV (initial setup menu).  The Sony and Sonos Arc work perfectly now. If I had to guess, I think that I may have set the eArc to “enhanced formatting” rather than “standard” (settings-watching tv-external inputs-HDMI Signal Format...) for this output.  I would test this--but frankly, I don’t want to rock the boat.  

I think Upenuf is correct.  I also have an A9G and constantly had a black screen show at random times. I checked my settings and had enchanted format turned on which says select this option ONLY if your device supports high-quality HDMI 4K formats, HDMI 3 - eArc should be on the standard setting and so far I have not seen the issue, thanks!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I had this problem with my A8H. I tried everything I could find on this and AVS forum.  I solved it by doing a factory reset of the TV (initial setup menu).  The Sony and Sonos Arc work perfectly now. If I had to guess, I think that I may have set the eArc to “enhanced formatting” rather than “standard” (settings-watching tv-external inputs-HDMI Signal Format...) for this output.  I would test this--but frankly, I don’t want to rock the boat.  

Thanks - so is this issue still gone when you did a factory reset?   When you do a factory reset, you have to start from scratch again, ie download apps, etc…  Right?   Just want to make sure it is still working for you before I do this.  Thanks!

DBV. I continue to have NO problems with the black screen since the factory reset.  Yes, I started from scratch downloading apps, setting passwords, and re-inputting screen customization from AVS forum.  I would, however, suggest that if you are having the same problem as others on this posting that you begin by being sure that your eARC is set to “standard”.  If it is set to enhanced, that simple toggle may solve your problem without the effort involved in a factory reset.  Good luck.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

DBV. I continue to have NO problems with the black screen since the factory reset.  Yes, I started from scratch downloading apps, setting passwords, and re-inputting screen customization from AVS forum.  I would, however, suggest that if you are having the same problem as others on this posting that you begin by being sure that your eARC is set to “standard”.  If it is set to enhanced, that simple toggle may solve your problem without the effort involved in a factory reset.  Good luck.

Thanks for this - it works!  I was like you and posted on AVSForums, reddit and no one was able to solve it.  This did!  So, grateful.  Thanks again!

DBV

Did you solve your problem with a simple switch from enhanced to standard eARC.  Or did you do a factory reset?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

DBV

Did you solve your problem with a simple switch from enhanced to standard eARC.  Or did you do a factory reset?

I had to do a factory reset.  I tried changing from enhanced to standard a while ago, which did not work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

DBV

I had to do a factory reset.  I tried changing from enhanced to standard a while ago, which did not work.

Agreed. Just re-setting HDMI 3 to the Standard setting doesn't work - I only stopped this happening after a factory reset so HDMI 3 never gets into Enhanced mode from the off

I too am having this problem Sony A9f, 65, 2019 model (I think) connected on HDMI 3, I have done the factory reset now 3 times, it seems to happen every few minutes on both of our inputs, no different between itv box and Apple TV, I have tried messing with Bravia settings, as well but to no avail.

Are you having to do multiple factory resets? 

Are you on wifi or wired connection for Internet to the TV?

I have my HDMI 3 set to standard, but Apple TV on HDMI 2 is on enhanced

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I too am having this problem Sony A9f, 65, 2019 model (I think) connected on HDMI 3, I have done the factory reset now 3 times, it seems to happen every few minutes on both of our inputs, no different between itv box and Apple TV, I have tried messing with Bravia settings, as well but to no avail.

Are you having to do multiple factory resets? 

Are you on wifi or wired connection for Internet to the TV?

I have my HDMI 3 set to standard, but Apple TV on HDMI 2 is on enhanced

No, it was just the one reset but tbf,  I haven't had the Apple TV on since i did it but that wasn’t the problem - it was my SkyQ input that was triggering the black screens. 

I am also experiencing this issue on my Song KD55A85 (2020 model) when changing the source input. I have tried doing a factory reset on the tv and have the HDMI 3 earc set to standard. Other two HDMI inputs are set to enhanced - Virgin V6 TIVO box and KODI media player. Only way to resolve the issue is by turning the TV off and back on.

Interestingly if I power off the Arc while the TV is showing the black screen the picture returns.