Answered

Sonos Arc not "opening" HDMI ARC port on TV. Need to do it manually each time.

• 20 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi All,

The Sonos Arc is not "opening" the HDMI ARC port on my TV properly and I need to do it manually each time. In other words, when I turn the TV on via the Apple TV (or TV directly), I manually need to press “input” on the TV remote and click on the HDMI arc port (and see the Sonos splash screen) before the sound starts to come through the Arc instead of the TV speakers.

This is really annoying and I previously had the Beam which didn’t have this issue, so it definitely isn’t the TV. My TV is a 2016 LG 4K OLED (OLED55B6T-T)

Sonos Product management, could you please add this to your list of things to fix?

Regards,

James

icon

Best answer by JiminLondon 26 July 2020, 11:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi All,

The Sonos Arc is not "opening" the HDMI ARC port on my TV properly and I need to do it manually each time. In other words, when I turn the TV on via the Apple TV (or TV directly), I manually need to press “input” on the TV remote and click on the HDMI arc port (and see the Sonos splash screen) before the sound starts to come through the Arc instead of the TV speakers.

This is really annoying and I previously had the Beam which didn’t have this issue, so it definitely isn’t the TV. My TV is a 2016 LG 4K OLED (OLED55B6T-T)

Sonos Product management, could you please add this to your list of things to fix?

Regards,

James

That rather odd.  I don’t believe there is any ‘opening’ function per se, but there does need to be a handshake between the TV and Arc.  I would try a cold boot of the TV.  Unplug it for about 10 seconds or so then plug it back in.  Insure the TV is set to use the ARC connection for audio and see if you can reduce the issue.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if that fixes the  issue.

I’d also look to see that the TV firmware is up to date.

Badge +2

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately, I have tried all of this before, and it doesn’t fix the issue.

It is most certainly a software bug in the Sonos Arc, as this never happened with the Beam.

If product management is monitoring this, happy to send more detail so you can fine-tune this. Otherwise, I will have to return the Arc...as I don’t want to keep clicking onto HDMI 2 (the Arc HDMI) to handshake and open the sound, and then out of it back to Apple TV every time I turn the TV on.

Regards,

James

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If this was a sonos software issue, it would likely show up irrespective of the brand of the display. I'd bet my money it'll require a firmware update on your display related to hdmi eARC processing. I replaced a Beam with the Arc and don't have the issue with LG C9 display. 

Badge +2

Hi GC,

I am not sure this is relevant as my LG doesn’t have an HDMI eARC, it’s just an HDMI ARC supporting Dolby Digital plus. As mentioned, I didn’t have this issue at all with the Beam, albeit with the LG being set to Dolby Digital and not DD plus with the beam, as it isn’t supported.

I have tested the Arc with Dolby Digital output set on the TV (like as it was for the Beam), with the same result.

Regards 

Badge +2

Hi All,

For those of you still watching this thread, I found a workaround and a fix to this ...I think!

WORKAROUND: Enable standby mode on the LG TV to it only goes into standby and never entirely turns off. This preserves the audio setting.

FIX: Do an AV reset on the LG tv by pressing mute three times. I didn’t have to do this for the Beam but seems to have worked for this situation. 

I hope this helps!