Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

I’m very happy with current sound (after fixes) - but only below 30-40% of volume. When you try to make the ARC louder (not to maximum, but near 50-60%) you will get bass problems. I’m really hoping that Sonos team can fix it. For starter there should be setting to automatic switch bass boost off after reaching 30-40% of volume.

I got a video of it during the Friends theme song which is not even a bass heavy song.

Latest software, fresh tune, +0 treble, +0 bass, loudness on, 20% volume. Listen to the whomp, whomp, whomp...

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I got a video of it during the Friends theme song which is not even a bass heavy song.

Latest software, fresh tune, +0 treble, +0 bass, loudness on, 20% volume. Listen to the whomp, whomp, whomp...

Damn that sounds just AWFUL! You should contact support for a replacement

Here’s the test song they asked me to play. Listen to the bass get messed up at the 0:12 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYL7DOoKho

Here’s the test song they asked me to play. Listen to the bass get messed up at the 0:12 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYL7DOoKho

I can definitely hear the bass problem there. Out of curiosity, what is the volume level? 

Interestingly I can also hear the metallic sound in the upper midrange / treble. It is like the treble eq slider is way up. Have you changed the EQ settings when you recorded this or is everything at ‘neutral’? 

Same settings as the other one but maybe 30% volume this time. Loudness on, bass and treble at 0.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Tested mine with eq bass +7 and volume on 40%. Bass is just fine

This week I installed my Arc with my Samsung The Frame. I started searching on Google for “Sonos Arc no bass” and I ended up in this thread, because I have the same issue.

I own 3 playbars and a bunch of other Sonos equipment, but since we have moved to our new house I bought the Arc and 6 additional Ones for our new house. I must say the Arc was disappointing from the get go. I found it to be incomparable to the Playbars who have always blown me away with their performance.

The bass is terrible, distorted (even at low volumes) and for music it is not suitable. I did not watch a movie on a significant volume yet. For tv with a lot of dialogue it is ok, however sometimes the internal speakers of the frame even sound better.

When playing Solomun - The Way Back with Trueplay activated it sounds terrible. By skipping Trueplay it sounds slightly better especially when tweaking the surround speakers (making them more important).

Probably going to buy the sub this weekend because this is not what I expected it to be… Most dissapointing experience with Sonos after buying about 20 Sonos devices over the years. Especially looking at the premium price tag.

The Arc is situated about 40 cm below the Samsung 2020 The Frame (65”) on a wooden cabinet not attached to the wall. When sitting on the sofa the Arc is about at chest height.

Any help is appreciated… I have been a Sonos beta tester before, so I’d be happy to help if needed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Do you have the sub?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Do you have the sub?

Yes but I disabled both the sub and surrounds for the test ;)

Hi Guys, I bought Sonos Arc yesterday and highly disappointed looking into the Bass.

There is no punch sound, its just normal music. Spending too much but its not worth. can we fix this or I need to go for other brand. I dont want to buy sub.

Thanks

I took delivery of brand new Sonos Arc couple of weeks ago, and was immediately disappointed with bass performance of the device. Even more disappointed when I learned many users are experiencing the same problem with bass sounding very distorted at times. I have the latest updates but the issue persists. Does anyone have a resolution to this problem?

I took delivery of brand new Sonos Arc couple of weeks ago, and was immediately disappointed with bass performance of the device. Even more disappointed when I learned many users are experiencing the same problem with bass sounding very distorted at times. I have the latest updates but the issue persists. Does anyone have a resolution to this problem?

Just return it, they dont do nothing to fix almost 1000 dollar soundbar. Returned it and stayed with my beam

Just return it, they dont do nothing to fix almost 1000 dollar soundbar. Returned it and stayed with my beam

is the beam much better? I’m new to Sonos, just got the 5.1 arc system and am disappointed with the sound. Seems it’s a common theme! If the beam sounds less trebly and piercing, especially with music, it could be a good switch!? I’ve tried every setting on the arc with no joy...

Badge

I’ve just moved from a Beam + Sub to an Arc + Sub, and the Arc sounds way better, for both movies and music. I feel like your room size and dimensions have a large bearing on which unit sounds better.

At least with the Sub, I have not experienced this muddy bass people are complaining about.

Do you not find the arc sounds really bright and metalic?

Badge

Do you not find the arc sounds really bright and metalic?

Not at all. It sounds a lot cleaner than the Beam; no harsh or metallic tones.

So strange. I find it a really difficult listen, seems to be common. Can’t seem to resolve it 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and welcome to the new users here. Try playing music using the Sonos app and check if you’ll get the same problem. If yes, try to reboot the Arc, and if still the same, reset it to its factory settings. After doing those steps and still the same with different sources, contents, especially music, reach out to our phone support team. We’re open from Monday to Friday 10 am to 9 pm ET. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Krishma M Is there any sulution yet for the metallic/harsh sounds with volume over 50% ?  

I tried a reboot etc didn’t work. Helping have suggested to send a video which is good they want to explore further but think it needs some sort of update?

Userlevel 1

That is pretty bad. I just played the same song and my Arc sounds nothing like that, even up to 70% volume. Could have gone louder but I don’t want the neighbors to hate me. 

Is that with trueplay? I really think trueplay is messing things up, especially with the treble issue. I did trueplay with the sub and surrounds not connected so just the arc and I’m sure the soundbar sounded better. The minute you connect the surrounds and sub and do trueplay again the whole thing sounds terrible whether sub and surrounds are on or off. 

I am so sad that this has not been fixed.

Got a 65” OLED tv 5 months ago, thin and bad sound.
So i wanted to buy a Sonos ARC becouse it looks like a million.
But then i saw this tread, and have been following since.

Right now i dont see that its the right time to buy it :(

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am so sad that this has not been fixed.

Got a 65” OLED tv 5 months ago, thin and bad sound.
So i wanted to buy a Sonos ARC becouse it looks like a million.
But then i saw this tread, and have been following since.

Right now i dont see that its the right time to buy it :(

Yeah don’t buy it.. I had one in June and went back to the beam. Way better