Sonos Arc + Marantz Receiver + Nvidia Shield + Sony TV

• 21 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Just picked up a Sonos Arc soundbar and before I connect the surrounds and sub I wanted to make sure that I'm able to get Atmos output on the soundbar from my Nvidia Shield that is connected to my Marantz Receiver.

Here's my equipment:

TV: Sony XBR65Z9F (eARC compatible)

Receiver: Marantz 6014 (eARC compatible)

Media Player: Nvidia Shield TV

Soundbar: Sonos Arc

Here is how things are connected:

ARC is connected to Sony TV via HDMI 3 (eARC enabled)

Marantz is connected to Sony TV via HDMI 2

Shield is connected to Marantz HDMI 5

Playing apps directly from the Sony TV result in Dolby Atmos being output on the Sonos ARC. The issue like many people have is that I have multiple devices connected to my Marantz and prefer to use the Shield to launch my streaming app (netflix, prime, hbo, plex, etc).

If i connect the Shield directly to the Sony TV via HDMI 2 then I can get Dolby Atmos to play on the Sonos. If I then connect it to the marantz then I will only get PCM. Here's the kicker....I enable HDMI passthrough on the Marantz while it is in standby and then I can get Dolby Atmos to play via the Sonos ARC. As soon as I power on the Marantz I will only get PCM again.

I guess long story short, I'm able to get Dolby Atmos from the Shield via the Marantz but only when the Marantz is powered off. This clearly is something to do with the Receiver but I cannot for the life of my find the right combination of settings to enable Dolby Atmos while it's actually power on.

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Now that you have an Arc, what is the point of the receiver? Are you in effect just using it as an HDMI switch?

Normally an Arc would replace a receiver, not work alongside it.

Mostly yes. The receiver is also powering a outside zone. The prewire to the tv is on an adjacent wall which requires around a 20' hdmi cable to be run to the tv so its much easier to connect the ps5, xbox, shield to the receiver and then have a single output to the tv.

Presumably the Marantz is not Atmos compatible and is doing some processing when powered on.

I would consider just using an unmanaged switch with a suitable spec instead.  Or does that mess things up for the outside zone?

Well the good news is if I leave the marantz powered off then everything works. I can still control the shield with my harmony remote. The marantz SR6014 is eARC and atmos capable....so who knows

Atmos capable when playing through connected speakers (which, let's face it, is what it is designed to do) is not the same as passing on a signal to another device.