Sonos Arc lip sync issues.

Badge

Hi I’ve got the new Sonos arc and it’s connected to my Samsung Q90R tv via the arc HDMI, my TV viewing is with Sky Q 2tb box. I’m getting lip sync issues being slightly out, I have adjusted the audio settings to zero on my sky box TV and Sonos app but still no joy. I had the playbar before with no problems any help pleased.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Badge

I would like to confirm that thanks to this thread, I appear to have fixed my lip sync issues by selecting the Audio Pass Through on my Tv’s audio settings. My TV is a Hisense U7G.

I thought this was going to cause issues with receiving the correctly decoded sound, but I can confirm that when I check the app I am still receving Atmos or 5.1 where it is available. Although I would be interested to know if this option has an impact on the quality of the sound signal being processed…?

When I did have the issues, I found them to be more evident when using an external source e.g. chromecast, that provided the signal to the TV

I fear though that I am just one of the fortunate ones because my TV has this setting. It seems incredulous to me that so many people are have the same issue. It does make me wonder how much testing was done, and on how many different types of TVs…!

For anyone else who does not have the ‘pass through’ option, I have read and tried out the work around to switch on the motion-smoothing option your TV has. This apparently creates a slight video delay which may counter the delay you experience. I did find this worked for me to a degree.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: “I thought this was going to cause issues with receiving the correctly decoded sound, but I can confirm that when I check the app I am still receving Atmos or 5.1 where it is available. Although I would be interested to know if this option has an impact on the quality of the sound signal being processed…?”

You might think when a setting is called “pass through” no decoding is done at by the TV all, because the stream originating from  your source is being passed through. The chance of deteriorating sound quality, if that's what you're afraid of, would be less, not more.

Badge

I guess if i had thought that I wouldn’t have asked the question! But, now you’ve said it it does make sense.

However, there was a reason for my ‘illogical’ thought process, and that was because I changed audio mode on my TV from ‘Dolby Digital Plus’ to ‘Pass Through’. I was thinking DD+ would provide better quality. But, not being overly savvy in this area I didn’t realise that that option was processing the sound in the TV before transmitting to ARC. 

So despite me feeling that your response was somewhat patronising, you have at least helped me to understand the setup a little better. So thanks.

I had just the same problem 

I have Sky Q 2tb linked via TV (ARC) to Sonos ARC.

Tried everything in the settings of TV and Sky but no improvement.

Solution  download latest version of Sky Q software and let the system update.   PROBLEM GONE !

Word of warning… updating the Sky Q box means you will need to relink any Sky mini boxes you have and also relink their remotes to the TVs.

Is there any Pro Person who can Give me the Ideas and Best Design for making a New mini Home Theater on my own house. I Will Be Very Grateful for your Opinion and Work.:relaxed:

Depends on what the word ‘mini’ means in this case. You’ve essentially got two soundbars available, I recommend each mostly by the size of the TV set in use. If the TV is 50 inches or less, go with a Beam. If the TV is larger than 50 inches, go with the Arc. In either case, fill out the ‘room’ with a pair of One SL speakers to use as surrounds, and a subwoofer to support the movies/TV shows you watch. 

Came here to see if Sonos Arc users are getting audio sync issues as I'm having this issue with my Vizio Elevate soundbar connected to LG C1 TV, Google Chromecast TV, and Xbox series X.

The Elevate has 2 HDMI inputs which resolves audio sync but the Elevates HDMI ports do not support 120hz refresh rate of the Xbox. Major bummer because it's one of the reasons to own a next gen gaming console. 

With devices plugged into the TV and eARC to soundbar, the lip sync is super obvious when playing Dolby Atmos content. I've tweaked the pass through and other audio processing setting on the TV but there's still sync issues.  The Elevate Audio delay setting is also one way. 

Is this just a universal issue for soundbars even when connected to eARC supporting TVs? I've also tried this same setup on a Samsung Q70 tv which also produced audio sync. 

Do I just need to get lucky with the right TV, soundbar, and streaming device setup? I'm starting to think that there will also be some delay and perhaps some people just don't notice or care. Is the only solution to get a soundbar with HDMI ports that support 120hz refresh rate?

Came here to see if Sonos Arc users are getting audio sync issues as I'm having this issue with my Vizio Elevate soundbar connected to LG C1 TV, Google Chromecast TV, and Xbox series X.

The Elevate has 2 HDMI inputs which resolves audio sync but the Elevates HDMI ports do not support 120hz refresh rate of the Xbox. Major bummer because it's one of the reasons to own a next gen gaming console. 

With devices plugged into the TV and eARC to soundbar, the lip sync is super obvious when playing Dolby Atmos content. I've tweaked the pass through and other audio processing setting on the TV but there's still sync issues.  The Elevate Audio delay setting is also one way. 

Is this just a universal issue for soundbars even when connected to eARC supporting TVs? I've also tried this same setup on a Samsung Q70 tv which also produced audio sync. 

Do I just need to get lucky with the right TV, soundbar, and streaming device setup? I'm starting to think that there will also be some delay and perhaps some people just don't notice or care. Is the only solution to get a soundbar with HDMI ports that support 120hz refresh rate?

Have you maybe considered bypassing your TV altogether with an audio extractor, such as the HDFury Arcana or a Feintech VAX04101A? There’s nothing to then process the audio and slow it down, although I would have thought your LG CX TV set to ‘pass-through’ should have achieved that for you anyway.

It hadn't crossed my mind that I'd need to buy another device to get premium brand and model TV and soundbar playing well together. 

The pass through setting on the LG TV definitely made the biggest improvement to the audio sync. Not sure if any of the other settings on the TV have helped. 

Okay 

It hadn't crossed my mind that I'd need to buy another device to get premium brand and model TV and soundbar playing well together. 

The pass through setting on the LG TV definitely made the biggest improvement to the audio sync. Not sure if any of the other settings on the TV have helped. 

It’s difficult for me to comment on your particular hardware, as mine is different. I use the Sonos Arc with ‘Fives’ and two Subs that are connected to the older LG C9 OLED TV via eARC (set to pass-through). I use FireTV, Nvidia Shield & Apple TV with no lip-sync issues seen. 

In my Dining Room however, I have an older LG TV (2015) which has no eARC, just ARC, and supports DD 5.1 and that had very slight lip-sync issues, even on pass-through, with a Sonos Beam (gen2). Anyhow I chose the Feintech audio-splitter/extractor and that solved all the lip-sync issues and gave me Dolby Atmos on that TV too, but again I use the Nvidia Shield (mostly) with that TV. So that was my reasons for suggesting an audio extractor and perhaps try bypassing the TV altogether. It worked in my case, but obviously it’s different hardware to what you are using.

Hi All,

I had massive issues with Lip sync and they now seem to be solved.

My Setup  is  a Sonos Arc plugged into the E-ARC HDMI port on a Samsung QE85Q70T. I also have a NVidia Shield Pro running Plex plugged into the TV via a HDMI port.

My Audio sync issues were much more prominent on the Netflix and Plex on the Nvidia shield.

My fix was as follows:

1. On the Samsung TV go to TV > Setting > Sound > Expert Settings
  2. Digital Output Audio for…. option was set to “Auto”. I changed it to “Pass-Through”
  3. Digiti Outut Audio Delay was set at 100. I changed it to 0

My issues now seems to be resolved including for True HD 7.1 Atmos Blueray rips on Plex.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you! We switched our projector to a Samsung one and suddenly started getting lip sync issues with the Arc. Your Samsung TV settings worked perfectly for our projector too. Thank you!