Sonos Arc Lip sync Issue LG OLED GX 55 2020 model

• 10 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi All, 

Im looking for some help to understand the best way of fixing lip sync issue between these two devices LG GX OLED 55’ and Sonos Arc. 

What i'm seeing is the sound is outta sync with the TV on a number of different devices and outputs. 

For context I have the Tv wall mounted with all external HDMI ports connected with Maxonar HDMI 2.1certified cables, these cables are capable are using earc, they are  linked to a virgin media HD 360 box, a PS4, and I am using the Earc port to connect the sonos to the tv. I am experiencing sync issue using the above devices as well as native tv apps, Netflix, Disney, YT etc.  The Tv is hard wired to my home network and the sonos is on a wifi network, Could it be down to internet connect? The Sonos will not pick my 5G network for some reason.

Questions does anyone know what settings in terms of sound will remove this issue?

Are there certain sound formats which work better so PCM, Pass Through, Dolby Digital etc. The sonos support team said switch your tv to stereo mode, but I find this contradictory the whole point of the arc is to create an immersive surround sound experience and by switching these settings off I will surely lose that?

LG has a number of audio features including AV audio sync  - however this only lets me move the audio in the wrong direction - making the issue more outta sync

The Sonos has the same feature using TV dialog sync - again only lets you move audio in the opposite direction so neither of these will help. 

Are there any suggestions or has anyone experienced these issues with this lg model and sonos system and managed to overcome them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi All, 

Im looking for some help to understand the best way of fixing lip sync issue between these two devices LG GX OLED 55’ and Sonos Arc. 

What i'm seeing is the sound is outta sync with the TV on a number of different devices and outputs. 

For context I have the Tv wall mounted with all external HDMI ports connected with Maxonar HDMI 2.1certified cables, these cables are capable are using earc, they are  linked to a virgin media HD 360 box, a PS4, and I am using the Earc port to connect the sonos to the tv. I am experiencing sync issue using the above devices as well as native tv apps, Netflix, Disney, YT etc.  The Tv is hard wired to my home network and the sonos is on a wifi network, Could it be down to internet connect? The Sonos will not pick my 5G network for some reason.

Questions does anyone know what settings in terms of sound will remove this issue?

Are there certain sound formats which work better so PCM, Pass Through, Dolby Digital etc. The sonos support team said switch your tv to stereo mode, but I find this contradictory the whole point of the arc is to create an immersive surround sound experience and by switching these settings off I will surely lose that?

I would certainly choose the audio ‘pass-through’ option as that means your TV will simply let the audio from connected devices, like your PS4, flow through the TV ports without processing the audio at all.. which is the quicker/best option. Just ensure you set the connected device to either ‘Auto’ for its sound-out or Dolby Atmos/DD+, or whatever the highest cidec is, that the device can decode, which the Arc can play. Doing that normally solves the lip-sync issues.

You should not need to adjust the LG lip-sync feature, so I suggest leaving that at its default off setting, but not if you do decide to use it, that it needs to be set per TV input - so you need to set it for HDM-1/HDMI-3 or HDMI-4 input etc. 

HTH