Question

Sonos Arc, LG CX and Xbox One Blu Ray Setup

• 31 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi. 

I've just bought a Sonos Arc to go with my also brand new LG CX OLED TV. Everything is working as anticipated for the most part, with streaming through apps working perfectly. 

However, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but the majority of my movie collection is still on blu ray. I've always used my xbox one (original model) to play the blu rays - this is just connected to one of the TVs HDMI ports fyi, and the Sonos Arc to the eARC. I'd heard about the issues with the Arc's lack of support for DTS but I, perhaps naively, assumed that the devices would communicate with each other to find a solution.

What I didn't know beforehand is that the LG CX also doesn't support DTS, which baffled me as the 2019 model did.

The result is that I'm getting no sound from my blu rays whatsoever. I heard that newer versions of the xbox have settings that allow you to transcode DTS to DD etc, but my OG Xbox One doesn't have these options.

Does the lack of DTS support on all my devices mean that I'm basically out of options? Or is there a workaround? Does anyone else have this setup or something similar? Even if the resulting sound is in stereo rather than surround sound, this wouldn't bother me too much - better than nothing, right? The thought of having an expensive setup that renders my blu ray collection mostly useless is a far more scary thought! 

Thanks a lot. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Shredd, welcome to the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Just to let you know that Blu-ray discs commonly use the DTS audio format which is not supported by Sonos. Some Blu-ray players and game consoles have the ability to transcode DTS into a format that Sonos supports, such as Dolby Digital 5.1. Consult your Blu-ray player’s manual or manufacturer for specific instructions and settings.

Below is how you configure your Xbox One to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital or stereo, which Sonos home theater products have full support for.

1. Access “Settings” by navigating left on the Home screen to open the guide.
  2. Select “All settings.”
  3. Select “Display & Sound” and “Audio output.”
  4. Set “HDMI audio” to “Bitstream out.”
  5. Set the “Bitstream format” to “Dolby Digital.”

If none would be applicable on your set up, you’d need to check other options that may work for you.

Arc was built future-ready to deliver Dolby Atmos and higher resolution streaming. We have no details to share on adding support for DTS or DTS-X today.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.