Sonos Arc experience vs Beam

• 4 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I got the Arc and Beam both within the past few weeks. Previously owned a Playbar. First up the Beam. I have it in an average sized bedroom pairedwith two play1s. I really love this product, especially with the rear speakers. They blend together so effortlessly (ambient, -2). I love the rears for music, they really widen the soundstage and help with the bass. The overall sound is natural and sound is projected at or just slightly in front of the speaker. Just a great experience in a bedroom or small living room like an apartment.

The Arc is so bad I can’t watch a movie or listen to music without it annoying me. Ive had several nice pairs of bookshelf speakers in the living room over the years, 2 channel setups. I was hoping the Arc would be a nice compromise between movie and music quality. I also have the Arc paired with two play1s and the software update. Initial impressions(especially with music), the soundstage sounds very recessed like it starts 6 inches behind the speaker. The bass doesn’t sound musical. I’d rather have better quality and less bass.  The midrange is very lacking.  Acoustic guitar has no warmth.  The “Sonos sound” is nowhere to be found. 

When watching movies in 5.0 channel, I have to continually turn up the Arc to hear dialogue and then turn it down because any other action in the scene is too loud. It was much easier to comprehend dialogue with 2 channel stereo.  I never had this issue with the playbar.

I also feel the rear speakers blend much worse than with the beam. I always know they’re there and I have them turned down -4. I almost feel the Arc might be better without the rears.  The sound is also quite hot on the top end.  I think I might getting some listening fatigue.  I can listen to the play1s in stereo or Playbar all day.  

I want to love the Arc so much.  I even bought a new TV with eArc to pair with it. I love the way it looks.  But right now it just sounds bad.  All the sonic characteristics of a cheap speaker.  If it just sounded like a bigger Playbar I’d be happy.

I’ve read all the glowing reviews.  I’m perplexed.  I don’t know if reviewers got a special edition.  Even my gf who’s not into audio says it was a big step backwards.  I’m going to keep it for a few more weeks, hopefully Sonos makes an announcement or more software changes.  If nothing changes I’ll be sending it back.  I’m wondering if there’s something physically wrong with this production run.  I’ve never experienced this big of a disconnect between product reviews and the actual product.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Audiofn.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as a remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Finally..  I have been searching (and searching) for a review that agreed with my own assessment of the Arc. What did you determine in the long run?

I have had a Beam, Sub and a pair of One SL’s in my Living Room for 6 months and have really enjoyed. Mostly regular tv and music with the occasional movie. Always sounds great.

When I had the chance to set up another system in my basement I was so excited to try another set up with the Arc. I immediately wasn’t impressed. The sound was terrible. I couldn’t even watch a movie and listening to music was even worse. I did retune using an old iPad and, although it sounded much better, it was still missing that “punch” from the center. 
I brought my full Beam set up down and put them side by side. The Beam system just sounded better all around. 
I know I’m in the minority here. I REALLY wanted to love the Arc. I feel like people just aren’t willing to admit it it doesn’t sound great after shelling out $800 for it. I wound up returning it for another Beam. I actually thought about a Playbar but Airplay and eArc for remote control are very important to me. Thanks to Costco sale I saved enough cash to almost cover the cost of my second sub. 
I am now considering buying the Amp and doing another side by side comparison using a few sets of passive speakers I have plus the sub and SL’s. 

Have either of you tried to change the surround setting “music playback” from the default “ambient” to “full”?

i ask because I had the same experience until I did the above. What happens is your play-1s will now play within their full music range.  It made a noticeable difference for me. 

Yes. I have my SL’s set on Full and usually adjust between 8-12 for the volume. It definitely makes a difference. 

funny thing is I actually changed my basement set up to an Amp and speakers while still using the Sub and SL’s for rears  the difference in music is night and day. The sound is 10x better (as expected) 

Lat night, my wife was working out in the basement (amp set-up) with some loud music.  I was in the kitchen so I grouped my upstairs set-up (Arc, Sub and SL’s) to listen also. Even the sound from the basement coming through the floor sounded better than my Arc set-up. 

The Arc is great at movies, so/so on TV and ok on music. Music was much better with the Beam set-up. If I wasn’t able to do basically a side by side, I would think the Arc sounds great but when compared it really lacks for music. 

Userlevel 2

I am stunned by how bad the Arc is. I cannot understand all the glowing reviews on the internet and general press. This is, hands down, the worst speaker system I have ever owned. I have never needed to adjust volume to hear dialogue and then have to adjust again to turn down the ambient sound and effects. This seemingly has gone on for a year with no response or fix from Sonos. This is my first and last Sonos product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mauiartist I understand your frustration. Have you contacted Sonos about this? What have you tried as a solution to the problem?