Question

Sonos Arc - Dolby Multi-Channel PCM 5.1

• 4 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I upgraded my TV to an LG OLED77CX (which is incredible I must say) that has eARC. I also have an Arc 5.1 system with the Sub and Play:1’s. When I connect my PS4 the Sonos app tells me that I am getting Dolby Multi-Channel PCM 5.1. 

My PS4 is set to output Bitstream. My TV has eARC on and Digital Sound Out set to Auto. So my TV must be converting the Bitstream DD 5.1 from the PS4 to the Dolby multi channel PCM 5.1. But then how does Sonos Arc recognize it since I thought multi channel PCM wasn’t available on the Sonos Arc?

When I set my TV’s Digital Audio Out to Passthrough instead of Auto the Sonos app tells me it is DD 5.1 which makes sense since that is what the PS4 is outputting.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Another odd thing - when playing Atmos content from Netflix using the TV’s built in app the Sonos info page says Dolby Atmos when Digital Audio Out is set to Auto but Dolby Atmos (DD+) when set to Passthrough.

I’m guessing this is all just some weird coding/communication issue with the devices and that it is all just DD or DD+ given the sources (PS4 and Netflix app on the TV). Best to leave audio out on Passthrough vs Auto for anyone with the same TV. I don’t think the Arc is actually receiving multi-channel LPCM.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @starlan, thank you for reaching out.

The Sonos Arc is not yet supporting LPCM and does support PCM.

You can refer to this support article Listen to Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc.

LPCM support will be implemented on a later date. For now, no other information can be shared.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.