Question

Sonos ARC and QLED Samsung 2020 connection - eARC connection won't work

• 1 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I just recieved my Sonos ARC and tried to connect via HDMI in the eARC port.  My TV wouldn’t recognize the Sonos ARC was connected - just that an “unknown device” was connected, and my Sonos App would not recognize that it was connected either.  I tried this multiple times, plugging and unplugging both the soundbar and the TV HDMI port connection. No change. 

When I clicked on settings, it allowed me the opportunity to switch from television audio to a receiver, but once I selected receiver - the choice disappeared altogether and all I had to choose from was tv speaker, wireless bluetooth speaker, or optical cable… it was very odd… and now, I can’t get that “receiver” option back.  Where did it go??  

I’ve tried going into expert settings and toggling the eARC mode to Auto vs. off.  Nothing changed with that either.

After much time and frustration, I connected it via the optical cable dongle attachment and it recognized the soundbar… but now I don’t think I’ll get the quality sound I bought the soundbar for in the first place - because that only comes with an HDMI connection to the eARC port..  

On top of that… the bar sort of goes “ghost,” meaning that the green light goes off and when I use the TV remote to turn up or down the volume after a while… it doesn’t work. and I have to mess with the soundbar again for it to pick up the remote signal again.

I’ve tried to read several of the other threads regarding this issue - but it’s just very disappointing considering that I’ve heard so much hype about this soundbar… and for it not to work like I envisioned is highly frustrating… and I can’t tell if it’s a TV problem, a soundbar problem, or both.

Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @alexvarkey, welcome to the community! Appreciate all the efforts and full details on what you’re experiencing. Since you’ve tried using the optical audio adapter and it worked, we can safe to say that the Sonos Arc’s port, the HDMI cable are working and the problem could be the TV’s ARC port or it’s settings. You may need to try it with a different source device/TV or reach out to Samsung as well. Hope this helps. Thanks!