Sonos Arc and 7.1 Downmix to 5.1

• 27 December 2021
  • 53 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@billiejoe87 I have also noticed my A90J randomly behaves as if it is an ARC connection (rather than eARC), with a toggle needed to fix it. How did you diagnose this issue? Or is it just something you assume is happening based on the exhibited behavior? Along those same lines, have you tried another eARC supported device? I’m wondering if this is a Sony issue, or a Sonos one.

I diagnosed the issue by checking the Sonos App and realising I was getting Atmos delivered by Dolby Digital Plus via the Apple TV which ussually sends it as full Dolby Atmos over eARC. I also noticed the PS5 and Nintendo Switch were no longer sending MultiChannel PCM 5.1 and instead were sending Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which is what the TV converts the audio to if it only has an ARC device connected. Toggling eARC off and back on is what fixed the issue in all cases.

Actually suprising that more people don’t talk about it on the Sonos forums as it’s a very well known issue over on AVS Forums and it appears to also be happening with a few different AVR’s. I assume most people here must never check the app and confirm what audio format they are getting.

@billiejoe87would you mind sharing the link to the thread over on AVS Forums? I’d love to be able to  contribute/participate in the discussion over there.

Along those lines, have you noticed your A80J/A90J produce subtle popping noises when outputting LPCM from the Apple TV (via the Arc)? It seems to only occur with LPCM, and not encoded audio (Dolby/DTS). It isn’t loud, but more like a soft pop when switching audio codecs, turning the Apple TV off, etc. A great way to demonstrate the issue is browsing around Netflix, and allowing the previews/trailers to play. More often than not, an initial soft popping sound can be heard.

Sorry about the late reply, I’ve been on holidays for the last week.

There are lots of posts throughout this thread on eARC issues exactly like you and I have described in this thread. This applies to the A80J and A90J (Even if this thread is specifically about the A80J).

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-sony-bravia-xr-a80j-oled-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3207724/page-773#post-61569883

The problem is not only regarding PCM unfortunately.

I suspect edid between sonos and LG is the problem.

LG CX, 2sl, arc and sub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

From my understanding of EDID, the ARC must be reporting itself as 7.1 capable to the TV, then the TV passes that down the line (Xbox, PS, Blu-ray player etc?), or the TV is misinterpreting the EDID data?.

Seems Sonos have problems now with 5.1 PCM, maybe due to tying to support 7.1 🤔.